Astro, we hardly knew you.

camp .

Jul 17, 2024, 10:57:29 AM (16 hours ago) Jul 17
to HomeBrew Robotics Club

camp .

Jul 17, 2024, 11:07:09 AM (16 hours ago) Jul 17
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
> Dan, I might owe you a beer over this.

Dan Alberts. 🍺😀

Dan

Jul 17, 2024, 11:17:38 AM (16 hours ago) Jul 17
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm....Another failed J.A.R.R. (Just Another Rolling Robot).

The real question is why.

With the proliferation of legged robots I can only guess that home robotics is on the cusp of an evolutionary shift.

I bought a $600 rolling cleaning bot for my girlfriend. 6 months later it was back in the box in her store room.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Daniel

PS. Beer is good...I'm buying the first round.

On Wednesday, July 17, 2024 at 08:07:10 AM PDT, camp . <ca...@camppeavy.com> wrote:
> Dan, I might owe you a beer over this.

Dan Alberts. 🍺😀

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 10:57 AM, camp .
Dan, I might owe you a beer over this. 🤖😅

Enjoy,
Camp

> Dan, I might owe you a beer over this.

Dan Alberts. 🍺😀

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 10:57 AM, camp .
Dan, I might owe you a beer over this. 🤖😅

Enjoy,
Camp

> Dan, I might owe you a beer over this.

Dan Alberts. 🍺😀

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 10:57 AM, camp .
Dan, I might owe you a beer over this. 🤖😅

Enjoy,
Camp

Sergei Grichine

Jul 17, 2024, 11:18:56 AM (16 hours ago) Jul 17
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Watching the eBay sales for the next several months... MockTurtle V2?  ;-)

image.png

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 10:07 AM camp . <ca...@camppeavy.com> wrote:
> Dan, I might owe you a beer over this.

Dan Alberts. 🍺😀

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 10:57 AM, camp .
Dan, I might owe you a beer over this. 🤖😅

Enjoy,
Camp

Best Regards,
-- Sergei

Alan Timm

Jul 17, 2024, 11:19:12 AM (16 hours ago) Jul 17
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
fwiw they're only canning the business version of Astro.  the home version is safe (for now).

Brian Higgins

Jul 17, 2024, 12:29:09 PM (15 hours ago) Jul 17
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Sad, I was on a waiting list twice to get one and it never happened!!
😞
Brian Higgins
VA Researcher for blind mobility “Sensor Aided Navigation”

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 17, 2024, at 11:07 AM, camp . <ca...@camppeavy.com> wrote:

> Dan, I might owe you a beer over this.

Dan Alberts. 🍺😀

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 10:57 AM, camp .
Dan, I might owe you a beer over this. 🤖😅

Enjoy,
Camp

camp .

Jul 17, 2024, 1:12:48 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 17
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

    Amazon blew the marketing on this one. I signed up for the original invite in 2021, and it's still "invitation only" at $1600. I guarantee it costs a hell of a lot less than $1600 to manufacture. They're trying to skim the cream when they should be offering penetration pricing: less than $1000 ($999) to get it out there and generate enthusiasm, at least among the early adopters.

    Roll before you walk. Only some things require legged navigation. The end game is the humanoid form factor to navigate human space and use our tools, but there will be many wheeled delivery devices (some with manipulation) between here and there.

    BTW, what kind of beer do you like?  :-]

- Camp

Chris Albertson

Jul 17, 2024, 1:39:27 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 17
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
It was yet another wheeled platform to more your iPad around for you.  It seems that moving an iPad around is not a problem that needs to be solved. Except in very “niche” cases and those cases always needed a taller stand that is at least 3 to 4 feet tall.  All of these kind of projects fail commercially.

You would think by now the “requirements first” method of engereering would be obvious to these companies:  FIRST think of some pressing problem, then design the machine.   But they are still doing it backward by first building the machine they know how to build THEN trying to think of some usful thing it can do.   The problem has to come first.

For a hobbyist, a good problem is “I need to be educated in X”, or “I’m bored and want to fiddle with stuff.”  But if you want to make a billion dollars you need to solve an unsolved problem. and it is hard to see what wheels on an iPad solves.

Gmail

Jul 17, 2024, 1:52:52 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 17
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I was tempted to attempt to buy one, but I had just been burned by Jibo. Yes, since the company shut down their servers, I own a mostly brain dead Jibo. $900 down the drain.

Thomas

-

Need something prototyped, built or coded? I’ve been building prototypes for companies for 15 years. I am now incorporating generative AI into products.

-

Need a great hardworking engineer? I am currently looking for a new job opportunity in robotics and/ or AI.

Contact me directly or through LinkedIn:

On Jul 17, 2024, at 9:29 AM, Brian Higgins <blind...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sad, I was on a waiting list twice to get one and it never happened!!

Dan

Jul 17, 2024, 2:15:48 PM (13 hours ago) Jul 17
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
My favs is Mango Cart, Negra Modelo and Guinness.
But rolling robots with arms have a lot of bang for the buck.
On an assembly line they make much better sense than a legged robot.
A lower center of mass is very useful.

camp .

Jul 17, 2024, 3:17:14 PM (12 hours ago) Jul 17
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
My favs is Mango Cart, Negra Modelo and Guinness.

Funny, I thought you were talking about wheeled robots until you got to "Guinness." :-]]]

- Camp

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 2:15 PM, 'Dan' via HomeBrew Robotics Club

Brian Higgins

Jul 17, 2024, 5:18:19 PM (10 hours ago) Jul 17
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Heineken or Corona light?