Bart - Pololu Romi chassis

Mark Womack

Jan 10, 2022, 5:42:58 PM1/10/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I got the Romi chassis kit in the mail today.  It is a very nice little base.  Now that I have one to look at, a couple of items. One, even though it has clips to attach the mini plastic gear motors, I could easily use a different set of motors if I wanted to. The would just attach to the top of the battery case. I think there are even holes that would match the clip to hold the motors in place. Second, the battery case is built specifically for the AA batteries (rechargeable), but with a little bit of work it could be modified to fit a larger RC type of battery or maybe even the battery banks that Pito and Scott M mentioned before. Have to look at that some more.

The Romi kit comes with one ball caster, but the chassis is built to accept two (front, back). So, I did order a second one. The base is very stable with the wheels and two casters. Tomorrow I am going to solder on the motor encoders. And I need to get back to the simulation...

-Mark
20220110_172341.jpg20220110_171831.jpg20220110_172312.jpg

Mark Johnston

Jan 10, 2022, 6:25:40 PM1/10/22
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
Do you see if there is any ability to use the small geared pololu motors that can easily have attached quadrature encoders?
I make these motor clips to hold the little very common geared motors:    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2504008
I don't see a place that would hold the motor clips from your pictures.
Thanks

Chris Albertson

Jan 10, 2022, 8:02:49 PM1/10/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
The Polou website offers encoders specific to fit the motors included with the Romi chassis.  The price is about $10.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California

Mark Womack

Jan 10, 2022, 9:16:57 PM1/10/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Mark, there are some holes, I don't know if they are center aligned though. Could always drill holes if needed. But these motors have the same kind of quadrature encoders as the mini pololu motors (different model but same hall effect idea). Those encoders are the ones I bought, Chris. Going to solder them on tomorrow. Should probably be able to debug it after that to see how they read.

I think these motors will be fine to start for Bart. Different motors would be an upgrade option. :-)

-Mark

Mark Johnston

Jan 11, 2022, 2:37:17 AM1/11/22
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
Ok, I think I found a solution.  Looks like the motor holders are a clip in design.  I bet it would be a cakewalk to just design clip in's for my motors.   I really like the little geared motors and have lots of them.   I may never get to such a project as I have several tabletop bots of assorted abilities already.   I am also having a blast with the balance bot so that is my focus for next month or more I think.  Thanks for reply.

Mark Womack

Jan 12, 2022, 11:31:15 AM1/12/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I bought a battery brick that is about the size of a credit card and just shy of a 1/2" thick. It just about fits in the existing Romi battery holder. But it will also fit just under the motors if one points the encoder connections up. Just playing around. This brick is 5000 mAh and can provide 5v at 2A. Not enough for a Pi, but fine for a microcontroller. I'm going to try it out in my other robot.

-Mark

Mark Womack

Jan 12, 2022, 12:02:35 PM1/12/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I forgot to attach the photos.

20220112_111002.jpg20220112_110956.jpg20220112_111027.jpg20220112_111105.jpg