Dyamixel clone servo, $20. These look good.

Chris Albertson

Jan 6, 2022, 3:34:43 PM1/6/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com

These are made by a company called LewanSoul.   You can find the user manual from the Amazon page then on the last manual page is a link to a Google Drive folder with technical information and software.  The $20 servo uses a three wire interface that is electrically like Dynamixel's in that the three wires are power and TTL level bi-directional serial at 9600 baud.    Each Servo is assigned an ID Address so you can in theory have 200+ servos all sharing the same cable.

The advantage here is that you do not need a motor driver or encoder.   The servo can be commanded to drive at a given speed or move to a position at a specified rate.  They do full 360 degree rotation.  You can query them for their current position or temperature or battery voltage.   I read the software and docs, it is good enough if you have a background in this but not good enough for a consumer-level product.   A "commandable rate" is kind of a big deal.

LewanSoul has a family of these but they are at the low end, all 17 to 20 Kg-cm torque range about $17 to $20 each.   I've seen photos of the insides and they look like the generic "DS3218" digital servo and I suspect they actually are identical but with different software inside

For the example table bot robot project that is being discussed, these might even be called "overkill" but all you need to control a pair of these is one single pin on an Arduino, no "controller" or "driver board" is needed and no messing with encoders or PID loops as that is built into the servo.   these are basically clones of the Dynaixel AX-12W but at $17 rather than $50.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California

Marco Walther

Jan 6, 2022, 4:17:58 PM1/6/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com, Chris Albertson
I use the smaller brother
https://www.amazon.com/LewanSoul-Real-Time-Feedback-Position-Temperature/dp/B073WR3SK9
in the Sawppy rovers as steering servos and they seem to hold up there ok;-)

-- Marco