Is OpenCV AI Kit - Lite replacing realsense?

Yousof Ebneddin

Sep 15, 2021, 1:14:04 PM9/15/21
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
Is 90 USD OpenCV AI Kit - Lite replacing some of the realsense stuff??

Sergei Grichine

Sep 15, 2021, 5:28:52 PM9/15/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com, Brain Higgins
That $79 depth camera can be mounted on a bike:

Best Regards,

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021, 12:14 PM Yousof Ebneddin <youe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is 90 USD OpenCV AI Kit - Lite replacing some of the realsense stuff??

Brian Higgins

Sep 15, 2021, 7:11:50 PM9/15/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Looks cool, I wonder if Cal-Poly can work with this.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max

Gmail

Sep 15, 2021, 7:16:14 PM9/15/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
For a robot bike?

Thomas

-
Want to learn more about ROBOTS?

Sergei Grichine

Sep 15, 2021, 9:27:40 PM9/15/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com, Brain Higgins
Sorry, here is the image my storage-hungry Samsung tablet couldn't embed properly:

image.png

--
Best Regards,
-- Sergei

Mark Johnston

Sep 16, 2021, 1:15:11 AM9/16/21
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
I'm in.   At this pricepoint the Oak D Lite is going to kick some butt.
Mark   (my words)

Chris Albertson

Sep 16, 2021, 2:19:22 PM9/16/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 15, 2021, at 2:28 PM, Sergei Grichine <vital...@gmail.com> wrote:

That $79 depth camera can be mounted on a bike:

Yes, but connecting the camera to some motors to make it a self-riding bicycle is left as an exercise for the student.

In all seriousness, this price is finally lower than a DIY approach where you buy two webcams a Pi4 and TPU dongle, and it's better packaged.

But can it actually replace an Intel real sense camera?   The Intel camera uses an IR projector to put a random pattern of the feild of vire allowing depth data to be determined even on a blank white wall.   This is a very effective technique.  This camar uses passive stereo and depends in the textures found on the real objects.  Objects that are blank will not give good results.

THis thing is on my buy-list.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California

Mark Johnston

Sep 16, 2021, 7:22:41 PM9/16/21
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
I don't feel it replaces realsense.    The true IR depth feature of realsense is the added value there.
The Oak-D-Lite is a significant leap in price performance for many but not all apps.
Having a large user base now and python3 with a lot of smarts built in can only boost it's popularity.
It will be interesting to watch but in the mean time Im signed up for one for some addition to a bot or 2 of mine in the future.

The Oak simply offers a half price solution for a great many but not as many needs as RealSense.   If you can get by with a half price subsystem, go for it.

To me if I were to consider pushing to have this Oak camera in a real product (such as Magni) I would never touch Intel RealSense as they have a very long record of dropping the nitch product that some group of their engineers put out.  Yes, they can be very cool but Intel drops those thing on the floor unless there is real volume in a product.

So if some extremely popular 'podcast' or other app that is super popular with the masses came out that used RealSense, THEN I may consider it in a robotics product because it then has the volume.

Intel has not shown long term interest in supporting a robotic market as the market (so far) has just been too nitch and small.
Intel is about bottom line, nothing more.

Mark

Steve " 'dillo" Okay

Sep 17, 2021, 2:04:34 PM9/17/21
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 4:22:41 PM UTC-7 Mark Johnston wrote:
I don't feel it replaces realsense.    The true IR depth feature of realsense is the added value there.

I'm going to be a bit more bullish and say "Doesn't replace the Realsense...yet"
The one thing the OAK-series cameras have over the Realsense is that it's programmable.
It comes with ImageNet, MobileNet and YOLO_v4 flashed onto the camera as a *demo*.
I've been running the ROS YOLO node on the OAK-D on Tenacity and if I just want to subscribe to the detected_objects topic I can.
I don't need the firehose of image & depth data unless I want it. So I don't actually need to splash out for a Jetson Xavier if I don't want to.
The camera is taking care of all of that for me.  To me that makes active IR Depth projectors a feature that gets dropped in a "Pro" version of the OAK next time.

There is a whole sub-category of devices like the OAK breaking out right now and it's all coming from small, hacker & engineer-driven companies like Luxonis(makers of the OAK), OpenMV, Firefly, etc.
and not Intel that I think are going to be super-interesting for a lot of us. Not all of them do depth-sensing, but not all applications require that.

To me if I were to consider pushing to have this Oak camera in a real product (such as Magni) I would never touch Intel RealSense as they have a very long record of dropping the nitch product that some group of their engineers put out.  Yes, they can be very cool but Intel drops those thing on the floor unless there is real volume in a product.

There's a LOT of robot companies that are using the D435i in their robots and have based their entire vision pipeline around Realsense, so it's being used in a lot of robots.
Still,  Intel is like that boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse who almost dumps you but things get ironed out and you're back together now and it's all supposed to be happy
and settled but somewhere deep in the back of your head, you just know you're going they're going to dump you anyway.
So maybe now is the time to start looking around to see what else is out there.

'dillo

Mark Johnston

Sep 17, 2021, 2:57:30 PM9/17/21
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
Loved Dillo's analogy on boyfriend/girlfriend (or perhaps 'significant other' these days) and will add that Intel is 'The good looker' in that relationship thus making the risk in the back of your head all the more 'probable'.   Lol

camp .

Sep 17, 2021, 5:02:00 PM9/17/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com, Mark Johnston
Alfred Lord Tennyson, "'tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

Alan Federman

Sep 18, 2021, 7:11:38 PM9/18/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com, Mark Johnston
when the RealSense discontinued message first posted last month there was a big discussion on ROS Discourse. The $300 Oak+D was most often suggested as the replacement. I note that almost all the ROS people detection, tracker, face recognition/emotion detection code uses depth cameras or a combination of multiple/depth/stereo + lidar.

$89 depth camera suitable for SLAM and or emotion detection seems too good to be true.

camp .

Oct 9, 2021, 1:41:44 PM10/9/21
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
    I'm noticing Scott Horton's "Elsa" featured under "What You Can Do." He entered it in the "OpenCV AI CompetitionOpenCV AI Competition."

OpenCV AI Kit - Lite (and Tiny)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/opencv/opencv-ai-kit-oak-depth-camera-4k-cv-edge-object-detection

It appears the first batch of OAK-D-Lites @ $79 is sold out. I see four (was five) left @ $84 for April 2022 delivery.

Enjoy,
Camp

Chris Albertson

Oct 9, 2021, 2:46:03 PM10/9/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the kick start units seem to be disappearing.  But you can now find them as actual products
There are a few outlets.  Here is one I found

Or the $200 non-lite version (Oak-D seems to be available with several different cameras.)

If the price is too high you can always buy a pair of cheap CSI cameras and use open source software. But the packed Oak-D system saves you quite a lot of work.