Pressure pad

Brain Higgins

Aug 30, 2021, 12:18:15 AM8/30/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what realm this falls under. Is the such a thing as a pressure pad to map pressure points. Find the right bike seat is a lot of guess work, and not much science. After 20,000 miles of biking this seat I have isn’t working and the new isn’t either. I have been studying the medical side as well as the bike shop side. My realization is that if you could map the pressure points you could easily pick and adjust your bike seat.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max

Alex Sy

Aug 30, 2021, 1:47:34 AM8/30/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Brian,
Yes there is, it is called a force sensitive resistor. They make a pad of
it that is used for podiatrics use to map foot pressure points. They are
quite expensive since it measures an array of pressures and uses a
multiplexed ADC to read the values for the whole array. I tried it years
ago for force feedback on grippers.
Alex
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hbrobotics/18B9193B-BC72-4B31-AA86-97FE0C3012DC%40comcast.net.

Michael Wimble

Aug 30, 2021, 3:12:02 AM8/30/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Alternatively, you buy a Brooks saddle. Best saddle I ever owned. It molds to your butt over a few hundred miles. Or you can buy one where the leather is already broken in a bit.

> On Aug 29, 2021, at 9:18 PM, Brain Higgins <see...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Not sure what realm this falls under. Is the such a thing as a pressure pad to map pressure points. Find the right bike seat is a lot of guess work, and not much science. After 20,000 miles of biking this seat I have isn’t working and the new isn’t either. I have been studying the medical side as well as the bike shop side. My realization is that if you could map the pressure points you could easily pick and adjust your bike seat.
>
> Brian
>
> Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max

Brain Higgins

Aug 30, 2021, 9:48:53 AM8/30/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Brooks I will check that out. Sounds like My original saddle on my Lite speed bike.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max

> On Aug 30, 2021, at 12:12 AM, Michael Wimble <mwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Alternatively, you buy a Brooks saddle. Best saddle I ever owned. It molds to your butt over a few hundred miles. Or you can buy one where the leather is already broken in a bit.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hbrobotics/9432654F-0680-4826-B9D2-31A218CE3440%40gmail.com.

Brain Higgins

Aug 30, 2021, 9:50:12 AM8/30/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
I use the VA hospital I will see If they have one of the pressure sensitive pads.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max

> On Aug 29, 2021, at 10:47 PM, Alex Sy <al...@everexcomm.net> wrote:
>
> Brian,
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hbrobotics/028501d79d62%2485399be0%241f01a8c0%40NBE.

Chris Albertson

Aug 30, 2021, 10:03:49 PM8/30/21
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
There really is no magic.  Let's say you did have a way to measure pressure.   Then you would have to know what is the best pressure distribution.  Should it be uniform?  Likely not because you are not made of uniform materials.   I can measure the length of the crank arms too, but what size is best?  Measurement only works if you can know the right number when you see it.

No one has found a better way than just trying until you find what you like.   There are people who are professional "bike fitters" who know about how to change things to make you more comfortable or faster.  They typically will change the location of the cleats on your shoes or change the stem or crank arm length. Many of these guys know about seats and can look at what you have and listen to your complaints and then recommend one.  But in the end, this process might need to be repeated.   Also note that sometimes it is something else but you blame it on the seat and getting the rest of the fit corect fixes the problem.  For example moving handlebars fore or aft or up or down changes the pressure points on the seat.  Fitters typically work in bike shops that cater to racers.  Racers are happy to pay $100+ for the service if is makes them faster but most casual riders don't care enough to worry about it.

I'm lucky I found a seat I like.  I'm only a moderately serious fitness oriented rider and ride perhaps 80 to 100 miles a week but even so I find myself standing on the pedals for short breaks on longer riders.

BTW, the suggestion to use a Brooks saddle might be good or bad for you.    I used one before finding the one I use now.  They are traditional from the 1970's and are kind of rare to see today but still have a following.    I imagine those who are a good fit to them like them, others have found something else.

Recommending a saddle is like recommending a running shoe.  Just because New Balance fits me does not mean they will fit you.   You have to try them then put on some miles.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California