Using Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL2) with ROS

Jim DiNunzio

Jun 10, 2022, 2:20:24 AM6/10/22
to RSSC, hbrob...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Should you wish to utilize your Windows 11 Pro computer’s capability to run Ubuntu and ROS with full GUI capabilities including RViz running at speed seamlessly integrated in the Windows environment with the optional Windows Subsystem for Linux light weight VM and Hyper V hypervisor, I have finally captured all necessary steps to set up the networking so the WSL2 Ubuntu instance gets its own IP Address and therefore can be a legitimate ROS CPU in a multi ROS CPU set up. Please see following post. Why? As primarily a Windows user, I just find it very convenient to have Ubuntu as a subordinate OS, but much better than a full type-2 hypervisor VM systems like WMWare or VirtualBox. It still is best to have a dedicated Ubuntu laptop of course, but this is now an option.

[WSL 2] NIC Bridge mode 🖧 (Has TCP Workaround🔨) · Issue #4150 · microsoft/WSL (github.com)

Jim