Tuesday ROS Discussion Group 7:00pm Pacific Time

camp .

Jan 11, 2022, 3:06:12 PM1/11/22
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
Jan 11, 2022 7:00pm Pacific Time

A weekly discussion of all things ROS. Beginner or expert if you have an interest in ROS, please join us.

Zoom: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/87058611464?pwd=b09pSTluVDdpbW9xeHRpdUMrUnlwdz09
Meeting ID: 870 5861 1464, Passcode: 403987

Thanks,
Camp

camp .

Jan 11, 2022, 7:15:57 PM1/11/22
to HomeBrew Robotics Club
Tonight! - cp

Mark Womack

Jan 12, 2022, 11:25:06 AM1/12/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I missed this. Recap?

camp .

Jan 12, 2022, 2:25:27 PM1/12/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
> Recap?

    It was mentioned there were three elements: Virtual, Small (Bart), and Large (Homer).

    We looked at the three basic shapes: Horizontal Rectangle, Circle, and Vertical Rectangle. I suggested that I was pursuing the Circular base for Homer.

    I demo'ed the "Follower" robot from the Model Editor tutorial: http://gazebosim.org/tutorials?cat=guided_b&tut=guided_b3

...and showed a circular-based model that I had created <attached> and we discussed how once a Gazebo model had been saved, it couldn't be deconstructed, and it seemed to save as a monolithic "xml" file. There was also some discussion as to the difference between urdf and sdf. We also talked about tools to create models, Model Builder, SketchUp, Fusion360, etc.

    We went around the table, and different folks talked about what they were working on (8 participants). Callan from Southern California had been to a few meetings and is heavily into 3D printing. Bob Smith talked about micro-ROS and using it on the Pi Zero. Bob is heavily involved with FPGAs.

    Chaz talked about moving this IMU to ROS2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N03WKDV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00  Here is the ROS1 package: https://github.com/yowlings/wit_node

    Mr. Mike, at this point, gave a preview of his Behavior Tree presentation scheduled for January 26: http://www.hbrobotics.org He showed a simulation featuring Ralph Gnauck's simbot https://github.com/gnaur/simbot  where the robot would find the nearest wall and continue from there. He also demonstrated the Behavior Tree graphically using Groot.

- Camp

diff_drive.png

Mark Womack

Jan 12, 2022, 3:05:21 PM1/12/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Camp!

Yeah, everything in that Example Bot design doc is still very much in flux and up for discussion.

Did you have a reasoning for using the circular base for Homer instead of something like the vertical-rectangle base?

I'm also interested in microROS, but I'll start another thread on that.

-Mark

camp .

Jan 12, 2022, 3:36:26 PM1/12/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
> Did you have a reasoning for using the circular base for Homer instead of something like the vertical-rectangle base?

    Circles are slipperier than straight edges when navigating, and I think the differential drive in the center will yield more accurate translations, especially regarding the angular velocity. I believe this is the best option against my arch-nemesis... thick carpet!  ;- )

- Camp

Michael Wimble

Jan 12, 2022, 4:27:56 PM1/12/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
My arch enemy is thick headedness. I don’t think bigger wheels is going to help me