CoProcessors instead of Client code and MR job

Asaf Mesika

Nov 14, 2012, 2:20:53 AM11/14/12
to hbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I've seen a great JIRA in HBase which reference the same idea you implemented here in this project. In that JIRA they are talking about Co-processor to do the compaction, which is now performed as a MR job, and the on-the-fly merge and save-back using co-processor as well (pre/post get).

Did you think about going in that direction?

Alex Baranau

Nov 28, 2012, 2:40:13 PM11/28/12
to hbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Asaf,

Sorry for delay in response, for some reason your message didn't land in my email :(

There was a separate branch in HBaseHUT project where we use CPs to process updates on server-side. The branch was created in times when CPs were not in latest stable HBase release. Now, that they are, I recently merged it to main branch. You can take a look at HutCpsResultScanner class and test case for it (TestHBaseHutCps) to see how it works.

There's definitely more things we will do with CPs, but that should be a good start.

Alex Baranau