cross platform app development

r8c...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2017, 2:59:04 AM10/11/17
to Haxe
Hi everyone , is there anyone has made cross platform (IOS,Android, Mobile Browser) app  made with haxe  for production ?
I like to make something like Airbnb (client side only , native and mobile browser) and need these feature :
- Responsive UI
- Fonts
- Chart
- Map
- Tabs
- Forms
- TextArea input
- Take Photo (on mobile)
- Basic Touch Gesture
- Simple Animation
- Scrolling Image
- Native Dialog / Pop Up

I'm thinking some of the methods  like :  Haxe-MithrilJs or Haxe-Vue to Cordova/ PhoneGap  , saw some JiveUI showcase but looks like it's no longer maintained ,
also considering using haxeUI (kaizen pharma use it) but looks like not responsive for mobile browser.

Really appreciate if somebody can share the solution , thanks.

Philippe Elsass

Oct 11, 2017, 2:25:49 PM10/11/17
to Haxe
You're asking for the Holly Grail :)

Nowadays it would be advisable to look at React Native. There are good Haxe externs and with luck the features you need will be covered by some already existing plugin.

Cordova is a bit of a dead end in terms of technology (it won't feel great and making a robust mobile UI is challenging, but it's doable), and other graphical libs won't have good forms support.

Philippe

Confidant

Oct 12, 2017, 12:46:00 AM10/12/17
to Haxe
Philippe likely knows better than me, but I'll throw the Adobe AIR option out there for consideration also. It's now an official target for OpenFL.

hosey hosey

Oct 12, 2017, 3:16:55 PM10/12/17
to Haxe
I think you are missing a trick by doing React.  If you have time and want to help the infrastucture use HaxeUI2. It targets  (IOS,Android, Mobile Browser) and html5. windows, osx. Haxe Community should jump on HaxeUI and make it a holy grail. I took the blue pill, or was it red?

Main Issues:
- It has a continuous layout, simliar to Responsive UI (though short of it).
- You can draw your own Charts or use openfl/nme and some plugin
- Take Photo (probably an OpenFL project for that)
- Native layout available

With a little effort you can switch GUI based on compile settings and have it look different depending on target.

Philippe Elsass

Oct 12, 2017, 7:47:55 PM10/12/17
to Haxe
I'm not super familiar with the latest state of HaxeUI - from what I've seen it seem a solid option for desktop, Flex-like, applications and dashboards. The DOM backend seem competent.

I don't want to be too negative but I've done both OpenFL and Cordova apps and, although you can get to 80% relatively painlessly, the last 20% are awful and require a rather good understanding of native development especially if you're unfortunate enough to have to create native plugins. And both will be hard work to maintain and keep up to date with Android/iOS updates.

I don't even thing that React Native is very mature and breaking changes will happen, but it'd be my safest bet these days for a very small team.

I'd recommend that the decision should be taken after a PoC that includes the key features: you should prove that you can get all the needed plugins (map, image/photo picker, status bar control, rotation support/lock...) to work on real devices.

Cheers,
Philippe

--
Philippe

Rafael Oliveira

Oct 13, 2017, 12:33:28 AM10/13/17
to Haxe
The biggest problem with HaxeUI (and also StablexUI) in mobile is the text input. Its hard to make something that support all languages, and feels native. OpenFL has a textinput that is used in HaxeUI v1, the last time I tried it had problems, but this was probably more then a year ago, and I dont know how things is today.
The newest version of JiveUI uses a native text input control above OpenFL, but the last time I tried this version it was not working yet. I think this is the approach that should be used in HaxeUI v2, but you need to choose what framework to use to implement, because each framework has a different way to make native extensions.

Jérémy Faivre

Oct 13, 2017, 3:47:08 AM10/13/17
to Haxe
I like Haxe very much for a lot of reason, but I believe Philippe is right. Even if I did native mobile app development for years (Objective-C/Java), these days I would use React Native (with Haxe, or with Typescript, or both for different parts) if I wanted to make a cross platform app. AFAIK it is the only cross-platform option that was mentioned above that does output truly native UI that will feel just right on mobile (UIKit components for iOS etc...). There are also plenty of third party tools that will make your life easier, like Realm database (https://realm.io/products/realm-mobile-database/) which support React Native etc... React Native also have everything you need to let you add custom native components, in the case something were missing, but you may even not need that. I have a lot of respect for the work being done on HaxeUI, but I would not feel safe to use it for Mobile.

Jérémy Faivre

Oct 13, 2017, 3:51:11 AM10/13/17
to Haxe
Forgot to mention that if you go the React route, you could manage to reuse most of your app code between Native and Web as it basically works the same way in the code (you output components with data).

r8c...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2017, 6:37:45 AM10/19/17
to Haxe
Thanks all for the suggestions ,

Trying haxe-reactNative , haxeUI/Kha and haxeUI/Openfl

- haxeUI / Kha : success compile to html5 , blank Screen on Android , looks like haxeUI-Kha on mobile not yet supported
- haxeUI / Openfl : success compile to mobile and html5 , slower compile time
- haxe- reactNative: success compile , smoother workflow

looks like haxe-reactNative more production ready  , will use it for now.

Thanks again