AS3 Conversion

Stephane Le Dorze

Sep 30, 2017, 7:53:00 AM9/30/17
to Haxe
Been a long time..

I am wondering what's the best solution in order to adapt a whole (big) project from Flash (composed of thousands of mini games).

The goal is to be able to switch to a HTML5 rendering without rewriting the thing.

So I'm thinking about a mechanised conversion from AS3 to Haxe, then running the thing on OpenFL.

Where I'm not sure is that some of those games use a lot of medias that can be huge (8Go total), so I am thinking about embedded the thing into a native App (maybe Electron - not sure if it's a good fit).

Thanks for any criticism of the solution and any feedback / pointers.

Best,
Stephane

David Elahee

Sep 30, 2017, 8:45:31 AM9/30/17
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Innogames made a very extensive explanation of how they are doing that kind of stuff. May be you can get their talk in catchup ?

\m/

David Elahee

Stephane Le Dorze

Sep 30, 2017, 8:49:38 AM9/30/17
to Haxe
Oh? That talk? https://twitter.com/Fiene_P/status/907886711845396480
Is there a vid/slides available somewhere ?

Andre Lacasse

Oct 3, 2017, 4:42:08 PM10/3/17
to Haxe
Some people record the conference and post it on Twitch, but they are probably expire. They plan to post it on Youtube, but I don`t know when.

Michael Apfelbeck

Oct 3, 2017, 8:30:21 PM10/3/17
to Haxe

This is a recording of a post-mortem talk the CTO of FlowPlay on doing just this: converting a large AS3 codebase to cross-platform Haxe.
The primary lessons:
  1. Identify AS3/Flash components in your code and asset base that don't have direct Haxe/OpenFL equivalents first, convert those components to AS3/Flash that do have Haxe/OpenFL equivalents first
  2. Then convert your project to Haxe/OpenFL
  3. Don't rely on tools that do semantic translation. If you use a tool, just do syntactic translation
    1. You're not gonna be able to do this without either programming skill or on-boarding a programmer(s)
He doesn't talk about this in the video; but from my own experience porting AS3 and C# to multi-platform Haxe: Settings up a CI system that builds all your target platforms is very important. This prevents you from accidentally building out something that's not supported in one of your targets for days and then having to go back and re-work something. It also saves you from having to waste time manually building and checking against each target platform.

Stephane Le Dorze

Oct 5, 2017, 6:13:10 PM10/5/17
to Haxe
Thanks Michael, priceless!