Haxe games on Steam, PS4, Xbox?

Rob Bateman

Jan 9, 2014, 8:05:03 AM1/9/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys

I was wondering whether any Haxe'ers have managed to use Haxe to publish games to these platforms? What hurdles are there and would there need to be a separate target to compile a game for, say, the PS4?

cheers

Rob

--
Rob Bateman
Flash Development & Consultancy

rob.b...@gmail.com
www.infiniteturtles.co.uk
www.away3d.com

Joshua Granick

Jan 9, 2014, 1:02:22 PM1/9/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob!

Yes, you can definitely use Haxe to publish on Steam, "Papers, Please" has been very popular and "rymdkapsel" is coming in January. More titles are coming, and we would like to help formalize the Steam native plugin so its turn-key.

We have a group of interested developers who are investing in the effort to support new console targets. We are under development for a new Wii U target, and will be looking at PlayStation 4 then possibly Xbox. The nature of PlayStation 4 development makes it an easier candidate to support, but there's more red tape to go through to become an authorized developer and obtain a devkit. Nintendo has been easier to work with than Sony on this front. We all learned that Xbox One does not require a separate devkit, but we would need to get ANGLE running (ideally) to put OpenGL on top of DirectX (which I assume is all Xbox One supports for rendering).

We are adding support for this in Lime, so you could (for example) "lime test ps4", etc, and through Lime, this will add support in OpenFL. The nature of under-NDA development for Nintendo and Sony makes things a little tougher, but we've already sorted a system that allows us to keep our codebase open-source, while hiding the parts that require NDA access in separate pluggable libraries.

I think you have my email, so feel free to contact me directly if you want, or we can keep talking here. We are hoping through Lime, we can continue to build developer interest in supporting new targets in a fun, stable way ;)

Rob Bateman

Jan 9, 2014, 3:59:07 PM1/9/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can definitely use Haxe to publish on Steam, "Papers, Please" has been very popular and "rymdkapsel" is coming in January. More titles are coming, and we would like to help formalize the Steam native plugin so its turn-key.

ok, thats good to know

with other targets like the PS4 and Wii U, what exactly goes into the work to get things compatible? will you have the full Haxe API available on those platforms, or will there be some areas (like HTML5) where you'll have to provide your own polyfill?

btw, saw your tweet about Away3D haxe today. We've actually been looking at Away3D with OpenFL a little more closely recently given that we have some new APIs to convert AGAL bytecode to GLSL - It might be useful to talk to you a bit more about that on email as we would be interested to find out if integration with the OpenFL lib would be possible - essentially it would allow Stage3D libraries to work across all platforms without having to write two sets of shader code.

Rob

Nicolas Cannasse

Jan 9, 2014, 5:01:43 PM1/9/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 09/01/2014 14:05, Rob Bateman a �crit :
> Hey guys
>
> I was wondering whether any Haxe'ers have managed to use Haxe to publish
> games to these platforms? What hurdles are there and would there need to
> be a separate target to compile a game for, say, the PS4?

Hi Rob,

Evoland was published on Steam as well, although running in AIR I was
able to integrate Steam achievement and XBox controller support by using
an external process + network IO.

I'm not familiar with PS4 DevKit but it's more much close to a PC
architecture like the X360 and XBone than the PS3 was, so should be
pretty straightforward to target using HxCPP/OpenFL, the only issues
being dealing with C++ compiler flags, initial app startup, and native
exotic controls (Kinect for instance).

Best,
Nicolas

Joshua Granick

Jan 11, 2014, 11:59:54 AM1/11/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
The first step is to make a compatible toolchain for the platform, usually this is a matter of getting the correct paths and compile flags, and is generally fast when it is a GCC/clang style compiler.

The second step is to get the Haxe C++ standard library code compiling, as well as the rendering/sound/native backend we use to run Lime on each platform. If it is similar to an existing target (for example, it is POSIX and supports OpenGL, dlopen, pthread) then it could be very fast to support, but if it requires custom windowing, or cannot support OpenGL, OpenAL, threads or other features, it takes more work to support the platform.

Third, we also want to support a platform from a tool perspective, "update", "build", "test", "run" should do the appropriate packaging and install processes for the platform and for connecting to a device.

Theoretically if the above is finished, the Haxe API + our API is available on the platform.

Nice! That could definitely be nice for Stage3D compatibility :)

chunbiao huang

Jan 12, 2014, 7:54:03 AM1/12/14
to haxelang

Omri Ofir

Feb 28, 2016, 1:42:20 AM2/28/16
to Haxe
Why did you publish on AIR ?

Nicolas Cannasse

Feb 28, 2016, 4:27:22 AM2/28/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 28/02/2016 07:42, Omri Ofir a écrit :
> Why did you publish on AIR ?

Our internal engine (Heaps) has not yet been fully ported to C++ (HxCPP).

Best,
Nicolas