I am writing some Ufront guides

Kevin ResoL

Mar 12, 2016, 9:06:50 AM3/12/16
to Haxe

Hi everyone,

IMO, Ufront is a powerful web framework that utilizes a lot of Haxe features (e.g. macros, remoting, etc). However, it is receiving too less attention than what it deserves. I think this mainly because of the lack of documentation/tutorials, making it very difficult to get started with the framework.

Since I have been using Ufront for some time, I have gathered quite a bit knowledge about the library through the painful trial and error process. I would like to contribute back to the community by sharing my knowledge. So I am starting a ufront guide repo here https://github.com/kevinresol/ufront-nodejs-guide, hopefully this will flatten the learning curve of Ufront and removing the entrance barrier.

Please have a look and leave me some comments! Also, feel free to create issues/PR! Or just let me know if you want to a particular topic to show up in the guides!

Cheers,

Kevin

David Elahee

Mar 12, 2016, 10:06:45 AM3/12/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Very nice initiative!

Dan Korostelev

Mar 12, 2016, 11:30:43 AM3/12/16
to Haxe
This is awesome! I'm very happy people in Haxe community seem to do projects like this a lot, and not only about game frameworks! Thank you for your work!

Lars Doucet

Mar 12, 2016, 2:10:17 PM3/12/16
to Haxe
This is a very important service. You deserve all the encouragement!

Domagoj Štrekelj

Mar 13, 2016, 3:15:17 AM3/13/16
to Haxe
Great work! I tried to do the same a while ago, but got discouraged once I fell behind on Ufront changes. Always figuring things out through trial and error wasn't easy. I can appreciate the effort it took you to get this far.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to getting back into Ufront!

Confidant

Mar 13, 2016, 8:02:46 PM3/13/16
to Haxe
I am looking forward to reading all of this! Thanks!

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Mar 13, 2016, 9:47:39 PM3/13/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Nice initiative, Kevin. Way to go! Thanks for this.

Adam Harte

Mar 14, 2016, 6:54:01 PM3/14/16
to Haxe
This is so great!

I have recently been working on a small website using Ufront, and have definitely found the need for a getting started guide. I have just been stumbling my way along using existing ufront projects and examples on github etc as a guide. But this does not really teach much about the theory.

The documentation for Ufront helps a lot, but you really have to stumble across the right page with the information you want. This "use-case" based guide is really needed in my opinion.

Links to relevant documentation pages might help in these guide too. Also having the readme for each example a little fleshed out would be great.

I will have a better read through and build all the examples myself when I get the time. Then I can give you better feedback.

Thank you for doing this. I hope others lend you a hand.

François Barbut

Mar 18, 2016, 10:16:31 AM3/18/16
to Haxe
Great !

How does Ufront manage the difference between Node (asynchronous) and Neko/PHP (synchronous)  ?

For instance, if you make a DB request, do you have to setup a callback or you can code in a old-school-but-simple synchronous way ?

Ashiq A.

Mar 18, 2016, 10:41:42 AM3/18/16
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Does it make sense to merge your changes into UFront itself, perhaps in their README file?

I'm not sure that anyone working with UFront would know about (or search for) your guide. Most people just check the README file and/or hit up google.

Alternatively, if the original author(s) are not amenable to this, maybe they would be okay with at least providing an "official" link in their readme/site/something to your guide.

Kevin ResoL

Mar 18, 2016, 11:16:16 AM3/18/16
to Haxe
Ufront does not really care about if your call is async or sync, because it supports both. Ufront uses Future from the tink_core library which handles async (and sync) stuff really elegantly.
If you are talking about unifying the two into a single code base so that you can switch target easily, I am not sure if that make sense since we seldom compile a single server into multiple targets.

Still, it is worth noting that there are efforts made, from js-kit, to let us write async codes in a sync way, see https://github.com/clemos/haxe-js-kit#asynchronous-programming-experimental

Kevin ResoL

Mar 18, 2016, 11:23:57 AM3/18/16
to Haxe
I have added a link to the READMEs of ufront-mvc and ufront/hello. Hope that helps!