Programming Games with Haxe, who's interested?

Ruben

Jul 3, 2013, 5:12:28 AM7/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

Since the last wwx-conference, I've had the idea to do a programming-robot-battle in Haxe. For all who don't know know programming games, the idea is you write the AI of a robot to fight/defend itself against other robots. The robot with the smartest strategies wins.

There are many games for which you write a robot like:
  • RoboCode: multiple robots fight against each other in an arena
  • MouseRun: mice navigating a maze to consume as much cheese
So, two questions:
  • Who's interested in programming a bot for these games and organising an online battle? The bots can also be used to show-off with the Java-target and to compete against existing bots.
  • In which programming game would you like to participate. Juraj also told me about one game, but I don't remember which one.

Let the games begin?
Ruben

Cristian Baluta

Jul 3, 2013, 6:22:06 AM7/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Really cool idea, didn't saw it before. Can you see any of them online, or you need to build the robot first?

Ruben

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Andre Lacasse

Jul 3, 2013, 11:14:54 AM7/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I have read some article for football competition with robot or software, It's the first time I hear about the Robocode and the maze, I not a expert in IA, but I will look at this tonight.

Samuel Batista

Jul 3, 2013, 11:29:12 AM7/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I played RoboCode before, and it was super exciting to pull up code from all over the web and collect it into a massively awesome killer robot. I think a HaxeVersion of that game would be super fun to compete in.

Norbert Melzer

Jul 3, 2013, 1:17:23 PM7/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

What I didn't understand is, if you only want to write that game in haxe and allow the code to be Java or if you want the code to be haze too.

Harley Laue

Jul 3, 2013, 2:13:02 PM7/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Based on what it looks like others do, it looks like it would be Haxe
running Haxe. RoboCode (and others from the looks of it) do things like
running bots in security sandboxes, others use their own language/vm
(for sandboxing), etc. One possibility for Haxe would be to have bots
use a NekoVM sandbox with things stripped out (Net, IO, Sys, etc.) This
would require the resulting Haxe game have the ability to run a NekoVM
(so native targets, but others are likely possible, but would take a
considerable amount of work AFAICT.)

So if this where a complete game written in Haxe, I imagine it looking
something like this:
* Natively compiled (or at natively to Neko.)
* Ability to run bots in a memory safe & limited NekoVM.
* Gameplay rendered with NME/OpenFL/etc.

My 2� on the potential project: I think it sounds like an awesome
project that I wish I had the time/energy to do/work on :)

On 07/03/13 12:17, Norbert Melzer wrote:

> What I didn't understand is, if you only want to write that game in
> haxe and allow the code to be Java or if you want the code to be haze too.
>
> Am 03.07.2013 11:12 schrieb "Ruben" <freaki...@gmail.com
> <mailto:freaki...@gmail.com>>:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> Since the last wwx-conference, I've had the idea to do a
> programming-robot-battle in Haxe. For all who don't know know
> programming games
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_game>, the idea is you
> write the AI of a robot to fight/defend itself against other
> robots. The robot with the smartest strategies wins.
>
> There are many games for which you write a robot like:
>
> * RoboCode <http://robocode.sourceforge.net/>: multiple robots
> fight against each other in an arena
> * MouseRun <https://mouse-run.appspot.com/>: mice navigating a
> maze to consume as much cheese
>
> So, two questions:
>
> * Who's interested in programming a bot for these games and
> organising an online battle? The bots can also be used to
> show-off with the Java-target and to compete against existing
> bots.
> * In which programming game would you like to participate. Juraj
> also told me about one game, but I don't remember which one.
>

> Let the games begin?
> Ruben

Ruben Weijers

Jul 4, 2013, 3:42:42 AM7/4/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
My intent was not to build a new programming game in Haxe since that would take too much time, but to choose an existing one and find haxers who would like to implement a bot for the game. Let's say you get two months to write the bot and then have a competition.. It's probably a good learning experience (if you share the code in the end), fun, community spirit etc etc
> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Haxe" group.

Ruben

Jul 4, 2013, 3:52:14 AM7/4/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
So two videos: