Noobish awe6 questions

Filip Loster

Jan 6, 2013, 9:13:47 AM1/6/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I recently stumbled upon haxe and was momentally impressed by the variety of possible deploy target and the features of the haxe language.
Most of my games I made so far in libgdx (java), and despite it is great framework java has its drawbacks both in term of language and avalibiaity on current platforms.

I decided to give a try to awe6, but I have a few questions, since the documentation is a little bit lacking and I'm terrible noob in haxe:

ad 1. If I understood correctly the bare awe6 is only a backbone for game logic, it does not offer any awe6 specyfic method for creating sprites, playing sounds etc?
ad 2. what library should I use for displaying stuff (I want to target android, playbook, iOS, flash), the nme.display.displayObject, native.display.displayObject, something else, or I should write my own sprite interface that changes implementation based on current target (such as it is done in f.e. awe6.core.Overlay using parser)?
ad 3. how can I get acces to some kind of opengl wrapper? Are shaders possible to use?

Mihail Ivanchev

Jan 6, 2013, 10:34:29 AM1/6/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Hey! Nice we got another user interested! To your question, awe6 indeed provides only the nuts and bolts, NME or Flash provide everything else. In the latest version, Nme provides an opengl view and you can use this with Nme. You can also check out the projects foo3d and hx-gameplay for native 3d functionality. Regards!

Filip Loster

Jan 6, 2013, 5:19:16 PM1/6/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that helped a lot :)