Haxe native file dialogs (cpp - win / mac / linux)

Jeff Ward

Aug 15, 2015, 2:47:42 AM8/15/15
to Haxe
Ok, I've been trying to find a solution for native file dialogs on windows, mac, and linux. systools is LGPL (and crashed when I tried it), wxWidgets seems like a big library when all I want is a little functionality (plus I'm using from OpenFL), but I found this small, lightweight C library just for this purpose:

I got this to compile on all 3 platforms (using scons), though compiling the tests didn't work in windows.

My thought was to create a haxe library around this. It should be simple, but I don't even know what this is called -- a native extension, cffi, "using a c library from haxe" ??? What is this officially called, and where is it documented?

Anyway, I've created a small repo where I'm trying to sort this out. I started with a simple cffi example that returns a string, and it does compile the nfd library in linux (though could I use the precompiled versions?) but it fails at the linker step.

Assume I know nothing, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Jeff