Electron Haxe question

[mck]

Jan 28, 2016, 3:21:52 PM1/28/16
to Haxe
Hi all,

I realize this is a strange place to ask this.
But I know some Haxe members also use Electron.

I have been working on Playrr
https://github.com/MatthijsKamstra/playrr

And I have been testing on OSX, but I have no colleagues with Windows of Linux.

I use https://github.com/maxogden/electron-packager to build executables.

Darwin is a neat folder, but Windows and Linux is a mess.
For example: locales and resources outside the .exe?
I guess it's okay but I have no way of testing it.

Same with linux

So I guess I am looking for tester!

I have the flavors Window, Linux and 32-bit/64-bit

Thx

Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 21.08.21.png

Philippe Elsass

Jan 29, 2016, 5:39:32 AM1/29/16
to Haxe

Looks normal. Mac apps are a hidden folder so you don't casually see all the files around the binary - but it's essentially the same.

For Windows you'll want to provide a setup, for instance NSIS but there may be easier tools nowadays.

[mck]

Jan 29, 2016, 7:27:50 AM1/29/16
to Haxe
Thx for the info.

I am looking for a better install method, but http://nsis.sourceforge.net/ is probably not from me.
I don't own a Windows machine, and nobody close by owns a Windows/Linux machine.

Normally I would say I am blessed, but right now it would useful.
I know we have a old PC laying around at work, so will try it out on Monday.
(after 150.000 updates )

szczepan

Jan 29, 2016, 8:06:42 AM1/29/16
to Haxe
Maybe you could use one of the machines from modern.ie. They have images (plus Vagrant for some time now) for most of the virtualization solutions which are fully functional Windows installations. Just download, unpack, import vm and you're done. :)

Philippe Elsass

Jan 29, 2016, 4:35:50 PM1/29/16
to Haxe
Yes it's easy to set up a VM.
--
Philippe

[mck]

Jan 31, 2016, 7:15:38 AM1/31/16
to Haxe
I will look into that, sound promising!

AS3Boyan

Jan 31, 2016, 7:19:41 AM1/31/16
to Haxe

For Windows I think zip package is enough, there is might be an easy way to simply do that

Like here
https://github.com/atom/electron/blob/master/docs/tutorial/application-distribution.md
Simply copy your app to
electron/resources/app and you should be ready to distribute this package

if you want create install package there is a helper wizard for NSIS:
http://hmne.sourceforge.net/
I used it, it is much easier to use than plain NSIS IMHO.

On Windows app data is often stored in %APPDATA% directory I think, but with Electron I think it shouldn't matter much IMHO

AS3Boyan

Jan 31, 2016, 7:31:37 AM1/31/16
to Haxe
Take a look at https://github.com/maxogden/electron-packager might work for you

AS3Boyan

Jan 31, 2016, 7:37:44 AM1/31/16
to Haxe
Oh, sorry, didn't see that you already do that