Questions for packaging

Wyatt

Sep 25, 2012, 11:01:11 PM9/25/12
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Howdy all,

I was recently surprised to find there are no current (or even recent) haxe packages for my distro of choice (Gentoo), so I am endeavouring to fix that.  In the course of getting a working ebuild, A few things came up, so I thought I'd query the list (and hopefully the relevant developers through it) about them:

1. There don't seem to be source tarballs for Haxe anywhere. Just SVN tags? (Gentoo is a source-based distro)  I found Neko source tarballs...
2. The makefile wasn't making a bin/ directory as the docs suggest it might.  The binary is generated in-place; since there's no install directive, I'm copying it manually.
3. I tried the install.ml method to see what it would do and it definitely makes a bin/ directory! But the contents...less so.  What's supposed to go in there?  Just the haxe binary?
4. This is a minor point as the Makefile works, but the install.ml method doesn't seem usable for stable users because even when I used the version from the 2.10 tag, it just fetched the latest svn head.
5. What does the HAXE_HOME env actually do in practice?  It appears to be empty.
6. I currently have a $HAXE_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/haxe that's empty save for the std directory.  Will anything else be going in this directory?
7. I see Haxe has a package manager, haxelib.  I'm hoping to get an ebuild generator working for installing haxelib packages (similar to our g-cpan and g-ctan tools), but in the mean time are there any packages in particular I should see about handling separately?  I'm looking for things of particular quality and stability.
8. Speaking of stability, will version compatibility be a concern for haxelib packages?  How is this currently handled?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Cheers,
Wyatt