Brennan Kinney

Jan 25, 2014, 11:33:29 PM1/25/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I'm wanting to interact with a graph database (Neo4j), they provide a REST api as well as drivers for various languages. I'm new to interacting with a database and REST apis. If anyone could provide or link me to an example of using REST with Haxe that'd be great. Presently my target is Adobe AIR, I've read that AS3 doesn't fully support REST and due to this Haxe only provided partial support to all targets? Has this since changed or has anyone developed an alternative?

The api and drivers are listed here:

I'm assuming the drivers for each language make working with the database/REST api easier. If I'm wanting to deploy to multiple platforms(desktop/mobile) using Adobe AIR or native targets, would I be able to use any of these drivers? Or would the application I develop need to target the language for that driver? Creating/porting a driver for Neo4j to Haxe might be quite a bit of work for my experience level, working with just the REST api should be enough?

Aside from the REST api there is an embedded database alternative that can be accessed directly with Java calls or a NodeJS driver that uses JNI. If an application is suited for a local database rather than interacting with one over a server, in Adobe AIR there is an embedded SQLite database that I can distribute with a packaged app. I don't think I can package Neo4j embedded(Java) with an AIR application though? Is this something I could do with Haxe native targets? Or would I run into issues where Java and other packages such as NodeJS needs to be setup on the machine?

I haven't used NodeJS before, though I've seen many useful packages for it, would going with the Neo4j NodeJS driver with Haxe externs be the right way to go? Ideally I develop the app in Haxe with OpenFL and can deploy it to desktop and mobile devices.