Haxe + GamePlay3D + Flash?

Rob Knopf

Jan 22, 2013, 7:49:21 AM1/22/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
All,

Pardon my confusion, but I'm a little unclear about hx-gameplay.   I was hoping to sort out a 3D framework that would allow me web deployment (Flash) as well as target native code for Android/iOS within a Linux development environment.  I've poked at the ones I could find (GameKit, Haxe/NME, Flash + Flare3D, Shiva3D, Unity3D) and they all meet some part of my needs, but not all.   As I understand it, GamePlay now has bindings to Haxe (via hx-gameplay).  I was excited that something might be available that does it all, but as I dug deeper, it appears the bindings will only allow you to target cpp builds, not Flash.  Is that correct?  If so, Is there a magic bullet that solves my requirements?

Thanks!

-Rob

Mihail Ivanchev

Jan 22, 2013, 11:14:05 AM1/22/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Yes, GamePlay3D is strictly a native engine, no Fash code whatsoever, and I don't expect that there will be support for that in the future. A silver bullet? Not really, the platforms are just too different right now.

Rob Knopf

Jan 22, 2013, 2:27:48 PM1/22/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for the response.  FWIW, I found GamePlay3D to be excellent - clean, well documented and active.  :)

Mihail Ivanchev

Jan 22, 2013, 2:53:16 PM1/22/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Yeah it's an amazing engine with a very dedicated developer team. The whole RIM eco-system is awesome, it makes so much fun to work with them, I can't describe it. Sadly, they don't offer anything for the Flash scenario, but oh well.

Sam MacPherson

Jan 28, 2013, 5:39:43 PM1/28/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I would keep an eye on h3d (https://github.com/ncannasse/h3d). It's built only for Flash right now, but it is abstracted to support other targets in the future. I am unaware of a silver bullet solution right now.

Joshua Granick

Feb 4, 2013, 7:39:34 PM2/4/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
NME 3.5 added the OpenGLView class, which allows direct access to OpenGL, currently supported for the desktop and for WebGL.

When we finish OpenGL ES 2.0 support for mobile, this will open up the capability to have true 3D rendering engines running on top of NME. With a compatibility layer for Stage3D, this could also be made compatible with Flash Player.

I hope these will help encourage more options in the future
--
---