I am an Imbecile - Send Help (HelloWorld Tutorial Compiling Issue)

M. Rosthad

Mar 29, 2016, 11:16:35 AM3/29/16
to HaxeFlixel
I am obviously very new to Haxe, and my question is: Just HOW does one compile a Haxe project to flash?

I created a new project using <flixel tpl -n "C:\..\Project Name">

and added the "Hello World"- line to the menustate.hx file.

Now the tutorial says to compile it all with FlashDevelop. However, this option is grayed out for me.
Apparently, one can also compile using the command window, but I could not figure out how to do that either.

I feel like an absolute dunce asking this question, for one because it is so trivial and also because it has probably been asked before (I searched the forum for a good 10 minutes, I swear).
I would be so grateful for an answer.

Thanks in advance.

Domagoj Štrekelj

Mar 29, 2016, 12:14:33 PM3/29/16
to HaxeFlixel
Hello,

What you are wondering about is how to compile an OpenFL / Lime project to Flash.

This is actually covered in the "Getting Started" guide. Use lime build flash command from within your project folder where the Project.xml file resides. Alternatively, you can use lime test flash to create a debug build.

Lime relies on its own build system. Building your project by directly calling the compiler won't get you far without the necessary setup and tooling.

Anyway, those commands should work. But it's strange that your FlashDevelop compilation options are greyed out. What version of FlashDevelop are you using? Is it a portable one? Have you tried restarting FlashDevelop or reloading the project?

Domagoj

M. Rosthad

Mar 29, 2016, 1:09:00 PM3/29/16
to HaxeFlixel
Thanks for your quick response.

I am using FlashDevelop 5.1.1.1

I reinstalled everything and managed to build my project to windows using the FlashDevelop-Interface. Phew!
However, if I try to build to flash, be it via FD or the command window, I get a pause of a few seconds, and nothing seems to happen. In the command window, the next input line is shown.
Neither the test nor the build commands work.

What am I doing wrong?

Domagoj Štrekelj

Mar 29, 2016, 2:43:36 PM3/29/16
to HaxeFlixel
I'm not really sure, to be honest. Did the build produce an output file? If so, it could be that you don't have the Flash player installed or configured for use. If not, then I'm as much in the dark as you are.