HaxeFlixel 3.3.0 has been released!

Gama11

Apr 24, 2014, 7:30:43 AM4/24/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
The HaxeFlixel team is proud to announce another huge release, 3.3.0! Headlines include improved HTML5 support, further improvements to the debugger, Flash gamepad support and much more.

You can see the full changelog here. For info on breaking changes, you can refer to the Upgrade Guide as usual. Along with flixel 3.3.0, the following updates have also been released:

  • flixel-addons 1.1.0
  • flixel-demos 1.1.0
  • flixel-ui 1.0.2
  • flixel-templates 1.0.2
Be sure to update all of those for compatibility (provided you are using them).

Here's a quick overview of the most important changes:

Improved HTML5-support with openfl-bitfive

The default backend for HTML5 is now openfl-bitfive. A big thanks to the author, YellowAfterLife who has worked closely with us to troubleshoot and fix bugs.
If you want to give HTML5 a try, be sure to install bitfive from git:

haxelib git openfl-bitfive https://github.com/YellowAfterlife/openfl-bitfive

You might also need to remove the <haxelib name="openfl"/> node from your Project.xml.

A big limitation with HTML5 right now are texts - FlxText does not support embedded fonts and has some other major bugs. You can use bitmap fonts as a workaround, find out how to in this demo.

Flash Gamepad support

Flash Player version 11.8 has added gamepad support, and it is now compatible with HaxeFlixel's gamepad API. Note that Flash's gamepad support still seems a bit shaky and only seems to work in the browser plugin with Chrome and the Xbox 360 controller. Check the demo here. Mode has also been updated to work with gamepads on flash.

There are some differences between the flash GameInput API and OpenFL's Joystick events, so it's not possible for this to be totally consistent cross-platform. You will need to use different logic for DPAD-input depending on the target for example.

FlxDebugger

The flixel debugger has time again seen some significant improvements. Here's a quick overview:

  • There is now a "tracker-window" which is basically a watch-window displaying the most important properties of an object. You can see it in action here. It works with most objects in the flixel API. You can also customize which properties to show and add support for your own classes via FlxG.debugger.addTrackerProfile();
  • Added an option to expand the stats window to show additional graphs for update() and draw() time
  • Traces are not redirected to the log window by default anymore. You can manually set FlxG.log.redirectTraces to true though.
FlxSignal

You can now find a new utility class in flixel.util named FlxSignal. Along with FlxG.signals, a collection of system signals, this is a powerful API for more deeply integrated flixel plugins and a more flexible workflow overall. Expect more system signals to be added in the future. For a reference on how to use it, check the Cheat Sheet.

FlxSignal is heavily inspired by hxsignal.

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to this release in any way.

If you have any feedback, comments, questions or bug reports, let us know here in the forums, on twitter, in IRC or on GitHub. The HaxeFlixel community has grown rapidly recently, keep spreading the word!

Michael Cook

May 3, 2014, 1:21:30 PM5/3/14
This is the first time I'm updating my HaxeFlixel and Haxe installations, so I ran haxelib upgrade - are there any gotchas I should be aware of? I've checked the Upgrade Guide and nothing stands out, but trying to compile my projects now has compile errors on HaxeFlixel files, e.g.

/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,2/flixel/system/FlxCollisionType.hx:12: characters 1-21 : Cannot declare member variable in abstract
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,2/flixel/system/FlxCollisionType.hx:13: characters 1-21 : Cannot declare member variable in abstract
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,2/flixel/system/FlxCollisionType.hx:14: characters 1-21 : Cannot declare member variable in abstract

This is on Mac OS, across all my projects. Am I doing something silly? I've found other references to thse problems that say they're issues in OpenFL and Lime but I've upgraded both of these as well.

Cheers,

Mike

Gama11

May 3, 2014, 1:53:38 PM5/3/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Haxe version 3.1.0+ is required, seems like you need to update that. Sorry, this should probably be part of the upgrade guide!

Michael Cook

May 3, 2014, 2:30:47 PM5/3/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful. Thank you! This fixed it.

Andyba

May 7, 2014, 2:23:04 PM5/7/14
During tweening the FlxEase.elasticOut is behaving differently from HaxeFlixel 3.2.0
There is some micro shaking at the end of the animation  which is undesirable imho.
It visually looks like a bug.

The timing is also different we had an animation that was synchronized with music now it is not.
It's a bit slower. Were there any signigicant changes in how tween easying works?

Gama11

May 7, 2014, 3:35:33 PM5/7/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
There weren't really any changes to how tweening / easing works... I can't reproduce what you described in the FlxTween demo either, looks the same in 3.2 and 3.3 for me.

Andyba

May 7, 2014, 6:28:27 PM5/7/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your quick reply.
I also can not see this effect in the FlxTween demo.

But I can see this in our game:
Here is the old version build with haxeflixel: 3.2.0 http://verydoge.net
and
the new version build with haxeflixel: 3.3.3 http://netforza.com/play/333/

To see the difference more clearly play the game in EASY mode and use resolution 1600x800
The doge will tremmor a little after every movement. I don't know why is this may be it's not because of easying, but if I change it to expoOut for example the tremmor is not visible.

Also in Neko and Windows builds while using resolution 1280x720 the game is lagging a lot, and my workstation has 32GB ram, a good cpu and gpu.
With haxeflixel 3.2.0 it was very smooth without any lags on PC.

Gama11

May 8, 2014, 4:45:33 AM5/8/14
That effect is clearly visible, but I'm not sure what could be causing it if you're using the same code as before. It would help if you could try to isolate the issue in a small test case and if you manage to do so, post the code.

I can't see any performance regressions comparing the bunnymark compiled in 3.2 with the one compiled in 3.3 (31 fps with 30k bunnies), but I guess there are other reasons for low performance than rendering. You'd have to do some benchmarking to find the cause. Are you testing the performance in release builds?

Andyba

May 9, 2014, 11:54:12 AM5/9/14
I reproduced this tremmor in FlxTween demo.
Just add a loopDelay in options variable like this:
var options:TweenOptions = { type: FlxTween.PINGPONG, ease: _currentEase, loopDelay: 2 }

and instead of rotation add some vertical movement.
case TWEEN:
//_tween = FlxTween.tween(_sprite, { x: _max.x, angle: 180 }, DURATION, options);
_tween = FlxTween.tween(_sprite, { x: _max.x, y: _sprite.y + 10}, DURATION, options);

The behaviour is visible in elasticOut mode, especially if window size is larger.

UPDATE:
Regarding rendering, here is a video showing performance degradation on android after update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDDwvGGaq-c

Before update to haxeflixel 3.3.3 on the same device the game was smooth and all the graphics were displayed properly.

In game we use just one texture 2048x2048 that contains all the graphics of the game.

On Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:44:39 AM UTC+3, Gama11 wrote:
That effect is clearly visible, but I'm not sure what could be causing it if you're using the same code as before. It would help if you could try to isolate the issue in a small test case and if you manage to do so, post the code.

I can't see any performance regressions comparing the bunnymark compiled in 3.2 with the one compiled in 3.3 (31 fps with 30k bunnies), but I guess there are other reasons for low performance than rendering. You'd have to do some benchmarking to find the cause. Are you testing the performance in release builds?

Gama11

May 9, 2014, 2:10:29 PM5/9/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Thanks about that code snippet, it reproduces the issue nicely.

You might want to try to downgrade to OpenFL 1.3.0 to isolate the perforamnce issue (i.e. if it's caused by OpenFL or flixel). These are the required versions:

Haxe: 3.1.1
openfl
& openfl-native: 1.3.0
lime
: 0.9.6
lime
-tools: 1.3.2

On Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:59:42 PM UTC+2, Andyba wrote:
[...]

Andyba

May 9, 2014, 7:32:12 PM5/9/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
You are welcome :)

Sincerely I have no idea how to downgrade Haxe and openFL.
Where can  I download these versions?
Thank You.

Andrei Regiani

May 10, 2014, 12:13:59 AM5/10/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Haxe 3.1.1: http://haxe.org/download?version=20019

haxelib install lime
haxelib run lime setup
lime install openfl

haxelib install openfl
1.3.0
haxelib
set openfl 1.3.0

haxelib install openfl
-native 1.3.0
haxelib
set openfl-native 1.3.0

haxelib install flixel
(latest, git or previous are all compatible with above)

Andrei Regiani

May 10, 2014, 12:16:22 AM5/10/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
I forgot about lime:

haxelib install lime 0.9.6
haxelib
set lime 0.9.6

haxelib install lime
-tools 1.3.2
haxelib
set lime-tools 1.3.2

Gama11

May 10, 2014, 6:56:18 AM5/10/14
Alright, I played with that a bit more with that tweening issue and I think that it was "caused" by this change. In reality, the jittering was there before already, just not as appearant.

The problem is that when sprites are rendered in simple mode on flash (i.e. no angle, scale or blend modes), their positions are rounded to integers because copyPixles() does not support subpixel rendering. This can cause jittery movement at low velocities (such as at the end of an elastic out tween). For smooth movement, you can force subpixel rendering using the following:

sprite.pixelPerfectRender = false;

This will be a bit more expensive (on flash), but won't really make any difference unless you use it on a large quantity of sprites.

Andyba

May 10, 2014, 11:25:14 AM5/10/14
Thank you very much for help.
sprite.pixelPerfectRender = false;
worked perfectly, there is no more tremmor

But downgrading to
Haxe: 3.1.1
openfl
& openfl-native: 1.3.0
lime
: 0.9.6

lime
-tools: 1.3.2  Did not improve rendering on android, neko and windows.

The last working version of the game was built with:
Haxe: 3.0.1
openfl 1.2.2
lime 0.9.4
and haxeflixel 3.2.1

It seems that our game is not using the GPU when compiled with the new version of haxeflixel.
Are there any new settings for this? May be we missed something?

On Saturday, May 10, 2014 1:55:54 PM UTC+3, Gama11 wrote:
Alright, I played with that a bit more with that tweening issue and I think that it was "caused" by this change. In reality, the jittering was there before already, just not as appearant.

The problem is that when sprites are rendered in simple mode on flash (i.e. no angle, scale or blend modes), their positions are rounded to integers because copyPixles() does not support subpixel rendering. This can cause jittery movement at low velocities (such as at the end of an elastic out tween). For smooth movement, you can force subpixel rendering using the following:

sprite.pixelPerfectRender = false;

This will be a bit more expensive (on flash), but won't really make any difference unless you use it on a large quantity of sprites.

Gama11

May 10, 2014, 11:56:10 AM5/10/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
No, I'm not aware of any change that would cause that. The hardware="true" attribute in the window tag of your Project.xml is set?

On Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:24:04 PM UTC+2, Andyba wrote:
Thank you very much for help.
[...]

Andyba

May 10, 2014, 6:08:25 PM5/10/14
Yes it's set to true.

Sergio

May 11, 2014, 3:30:40 PM5/11/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
I think that I found the problem -  it seems that now entire atlas is loaded for each FlxSprite, instead of atlas to be loaded just once, I've made an example to demonstrate it:

You can see the slowdown when adding new sprites (btw: it seems there is no slowdown on the flash target) and 100 of running sprites use up more than 1Gb of RAM which I think is not normal.

Andyba

May 11, 2014, 5:10:28 PM5/11/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm huge memory usage in Sergio test when using haxeflixel 3.3.3
When using ~100 coins memory usage is > 1.5GB and 2 FPS;

When downgrading to haxeflixel 3.2.2, with openFL 1.4.0, lime  0.9.7 in the same test I added ~1000 coins with only 85MB of ram used and 45 FPS;

Alex Pires

May 11, 2014, 5:12:13 PM5/11/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I recently did an upgrade to flixel version 3,3,3 and created a new project with

flixel tpl -n test

And this template project (with no extra code) are returning me a bunch of errors with lime test neko:

/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/system/FlxCollisionType.hx:12: characters 1-21 : Cannot declare member variable in abstract
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/system/FlxCollisionType.hx:13: characters 1-21 : Cannot declare member variable in abstract
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/system/FlxCollisionType.hx:14: characters 1-21 : Cannot declare member variable in abstract
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/system/FlxCollisionType.hx:15: characters 1-21 : Cannot declare member variable in abstract
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/system/FlxCollisionType.hx:16: characters 1-21 : Cannot declare member variable in abstract
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/util/FlxArrayUtil.hx:11: characters 9-22 : Array<indexOf.T> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/util/FlxRandom.hx:174: characters 11-27 : Array<Int> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/util/FlxArrayUtil.hx:81: characters 14-27 : Array<fastSplice.T> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/group/FlxTypedGroup.hx:45: characters 18-40 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field GROUP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxBasic.hx:49: characters 60-81 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field NONE
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxBasic.hx:49: characters 8-82 : Variable initialization must be a constant value
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/util/FlxRandom.hx:216: characters 11-27 : Array<Float> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/animation/FlxAnimationController.hx:779: characters 9-42 : Array<flixel.system.layer.frames.FlxFrame> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/util/FlxPool.hx:36: characters 21-34 : Array<flixel.util.FlxPool.T> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/util/FlxStringUtil.hx:465: characters 13-29 : Array<Int> has no field indexO
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/plugin/PathManager.hx:10: characters 9-40 : Variable initialization must be a constant value
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/util/FlxArrayUtil.hx:84: characters 3-34 : Cannot inline a not final return
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/plugin/PathManager.hx:8: lines 8-97 : Defined in this class
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/util/FlxPath.hx:549: characters 19-32 : Array<flixel.util.FlxPoint> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/util/FlxArrayUtil.hx:84: characters 3-34 : Cannot inline a not final return
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/plugin/TimerManager.hx:10: lines 10-89 : Defined in this class
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/plugin/TweenManager.hx:14: characters 9-57 : Variable initialization must be a constant value
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/util/FlxArrayUtil.hx:84: characters 3-34 : Cannot inline a not final return
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/plugin/TweenManager.hx:9: lines 9-116 : Defined in this class
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/system/frontEnds/PluginFrontEnd.hx:18: characters 8-54 : Variable initialization must be a constant value
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxObject.hx:491: characters 18-41 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field OBJECT
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/tile/FlxTilemap.hx:212: characters 18-42 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field TILEMAP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/group/FlxGroup.hx:51: characters 38-66 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field SPRITEGROUP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/group/FlxGroup.hx:52: characters 38-60 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field GROUP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/group/FlxGroup.hx:54: characters 38-60 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field GROUP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/group/FlxGroup.hx:58: characters 43-71 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field SPRITEGROUP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/tile/FlxTilemap.hx:867: characters 38-61 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field OBJECT
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/tile/FlxTilemap.hx:868: characters 38-62 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field TILEMAP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/tile/FlxTilemap.hx:907: characters 37-60 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field OBJECT
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/tile/FlxTilemap.hx:908: characters 37-61 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field TILEMAP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/group/FlxTypedSpriteGroup.hx:80: characters 18-46 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field SPRITEGROUP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/group/FlxTypedGroup.hx:133: characters 6-21 : Array<flixel.group.FlxTypedGroup.T> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/group/FlxTypedGroup.hx:260: characters 18-33 : Array<flixel.group.FlxTypedGroup.T> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/group/FlxTypedGroup.hx:283: characters 18-33 : Array<flixel.group.FlxTypedGroup.T> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/group/FlxTypedGroup.hx:323: characters 42-64 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field GROUP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/group/FlxTypedGroup.hx:356: characters 43-65 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field GROUP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/system/frontEnds/CameraFrontEnd.hx:59: characters 18-30 : Array<flixel.FlxCamera> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/system/debug/ConsoleUtil.hx:72: characters 7-34 : Array<String> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/system/debug/ConsoleUtil.hx:213: characters 9-23 : Array<String> has no field indexOf
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxObject.hx:101: characters 31-55 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field TILEMAP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxObject.hx:105: characters 31-55 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field TILEMAP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxObject.hx:214: characters 31-55 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field TILEMAP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxObject.hx:218: characters 31-55 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field TILEMAP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxGame.hx:422: characters 2-35 : dispatch cannot be called
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxSprite.hx:183: characters 9-87 : Variable initialization must be a constant value
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxObject.hx:606: characters 37-61 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field TILEMAP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxObject.hx:654: characters 37-61 : flixel.system.FlxCollisionType has no field TILEMAP
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxGame.hx:384: characters 2-33 : dispatch cannot be called
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxGame.hx:348: characters 2-35 : dispatch cannot be called
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxGame.hx:521: characters 2-33 : dispatch cannot be called
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxGame.hx:568: characters 2-37 : dispatch cannot be called
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxGame.hx:597: characters 2-35 : dispatch cannot be called
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxGame.hx:678: characters 2-33 : dispatch cannot be called
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxGame.hx:703: characters 2-34 : dispatch cannot be called
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxGame.hx:795: characters 2-31 : dispatch cannot be called
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/FlxGame.hx:839: characters 2-32 : dispatch cannot be called
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/util/FlxArrayUtil.hx:84: characters 3-34 : Cannot inline a not final return
/usr/lib/haxe/lib/flixel/3,3,3/flixel/text/FlxText.hx:27: lines 27-950 : Defined in this class

What I should do to resolve this issue?

Thank you in adavnce.

Gama11

May 11, 2014, 5:12:55 PM5/11/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
You need to update Haxe.

Alex Pires

May 11, 2014, 9:05:31 PM5/11/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Beeblerox

May 11, 2014, 10:38:24 PM5/11/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
you're loading graphics with Unique = true, which means that graphics of the sprite will be the clone of provided atlas. Why are you using it this way?

Sergio

May 12, 2014, 12:41:08 AM5/12/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! :) It fixed the problem when I removed unique. I think I saw it somewhere in example and then forgot about it because it worked anyway.

MegaLeon

May 13, 2014, 9:19:07 AM5/13/14
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
I ran the upgrade using haxelib upgrade and everything seemed to work fine after changing a few methods as explained in the upgrade guide, although afterwards I couldn't can't test on Android anymore as it display the message: "Could not find haxelib 'hxcpp', does it need to be installed?"

I ran a "haxelib install hxcpp" and that fixed it, not sure if anyone else had the same requirement of havign to download the library separately? Maybe worth noting it down?