Performance with Tilemaps

c023-DeV

Jan 24, 2015, 6:34:41 AM1/24/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Heyagain!

I am constantly intrigued to port ENYO Arcade to Haxeflixel. I've been working on this game for about 3 years now, and always come back here to test my options. THe current version is built on the original flixel and AIR.

About my latest HxF test:
I just replaced the .csv from the Tilemap demo with a csv from my levels (128x64 with 16x16pxTiles) and my machine struggles to keep a constant 60fps. Avrg is ~45 (Tested Neko on/AND WindowsCpp!)

Base resolution is 480x270 pixels and I'm running it in fullscreen with vsynch ... my desktop resolution is 1920x1080.

My my original version has 3-4 of those layers + 3paralax backgrounds + multiple enemy, particle and deco sprite layers...

Any ideas what could be slowing this down? I just changed the Tilemap demo to fullscreen and replaced the CSV with a larger one. (by the way that parser seems to have a problem with the last line being empty space in the provided default_auto.txt and crashes throwing a formatting error)

Kind regards,
James

Gama11

Jan 24, 2015, 8:11:16 AM1/24/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Neko usually doesn't perform very well compared to cpp builds (see FlxBunnyMark) - is there any noticable difference between those two for you? Debug and release builds can also make a big difference.

c023-DeV

Jan 24, 2015, 9:20:15 AM1/24/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Sure cpp is a bit faster but still nowhere near a stable 60 fps.

I've noticed that it is even slower in windowed mode?!

You know, AIR had some issues with their Timers - I am running this on a Cintiq Companion. Since Adobe replaced their timer... what I'm sayin is that it may also be OpenFL related? Since adobe fixed that, it boosted the performance for my game on even older notebooks like 200% ...

Here is where I first saw the topic on AIR: