Assorted Flixel Set-Up Questions

Lobster Mobster

May 29, 2015, 8:28:35 AM5/29/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
I had originally had Stencyl installed, but I then tried installing HaxeFlixel. It kept installing in Stencyl's directory, so I uninstalled Haxe/OpenFL/Lime/etc. as well as Stencyl. Now things are a big mess, but I'm hopeful they can be sorted out:

  1. "lime test flash" doesn't work. It attempts to open a flash player from the non-existent Stencyl directory. Where do I get the correct flash player and how do I change where the command-line looks for it?
  2. I already have Visual Studio 2015 Community installed. How can I set up Flixel so that "lime test windows" will compile using my existing VS installation?
  3. I installed openfl-bitfive to get the HTML5 build option, but it takes me to localhost:3000 in a browser, where I just get a white page that says "Not Found". If it matters, I have xampp installed, though it wasn't running when I attempted to build for HTML5.
  4. If I decide to install Stencyl again, how can I make Stencyl use my existing installs of Haxe/OpenFL/Lime/etc.? Alternately, how can I keep the two installs separate so one doesn't corrupt the other's install/run locations?
The help would be much appreciated!

David Cherepov

May 29, 2015, 1:00:29 PM5/29/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
I had a similar problem, you also have to delete stencyl from your appdata. I don't know exactly how I got it working, but probably if you uninstall haxe, delete the stencyl folder from your appdata, reinstall your computer and reinstall haxe and openfl and haxeflixel, it'll work. here is how to get to your appdata http://www.overclock.net/t/471062/guide-how-to-access-appdata-quickly-easy
I am having other problems getting haxeflixel to work with flashdevelop, but at least i got past the problem of having it go to a non-existent stencyl directory

Gama11

May 29, 2015, 3:51:26 PM5/29/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com, alia...@gmail.com
Can't really help with Stencyl...

@David what issues are you having with FlashDevelop?

Ashiq A.

May 29, 2015, 3:58:52 PM5/29/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
If you have a powerful enough dev machine, running a VM may be another option to get you to a "clean" system state. You can install the Haxe chain inside.

--
HaxeFlixel Development Community
See our github https://github.com/haxeflixel/ and our documentation http://haxeflixel.com/documentation/

Lobster Mobster

May 29, 2015, 5:52:20 PM5/29/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, David. I'll do that appdata delete. Once I've done so, though, where do I get the flashplayer that HF wants for testing? Will any version of Flash Player do? And how to I set up so that Lime correctly uses the right Flash Player application?

Gama11, the Stencyl thing is the least of the issues. Can you help with any of the others?

Ashiq, you're essentially saying that there's nothing for it: I should redo everything on a brand new OS. Is that really the best option? If things aren't 100% perfect out the box, you're f'd for life with Haxe? I very seriously hope not.

A lot of my issues come down to not knowing where to set where Lime/Haxe look for things. It's not just the PATH variable. Where do I make changes to where it looks for Visual Studio, Flash Player, etc.? And why does the HTML5 page just say "not found"?

P.S. This forum's scrollbars-within-scrollbars extremely annoying.

David Cherepov

May 29, 2015, 6:10:06 PM5/29/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com, alia...@gmail.com

actually, i sorted out the problems with flashdevelop, it was the version sdk they had listed was haxe 3.1.3, but i had 3.2.0 on my computer

David Cherepov

May 29, 2015, 6:17:19 PM5/29/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
you can go to the directory of the project in command prompt and run it from there, and any version of flash player works, the default for me is opening it in internet explorer.

Lobster Mobster

May 29, 2015, 10:08:14 PM5/29/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Problem #1 was simply me misunderstanding Windows 8's prompt to select an application to run .swf files. Once I downloaded a stand-alone copy of Flash Player and pointed that dialog to it, it opens and works just fine from "lime test flash".

Also, the issue with an error from "lime test html5" went away after I restarted my laptop: probably a conflict from XAMPP or something. If anyone knows why, I'd like to know, but at least it's working.

That leaves me with:

  1. How can I point lime/haxeflixel/etc. to an existing installation of Visual Studio to compile with when I use the "lime test windows" command?

Ashiq A.

May 31, 2015, 6:24:27 AM5/31/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean by "point lime/haxeflixel/etc. to an existing installation of Visual Studio to compile with"?

Do you mean you want to integrate the lime/haxeflixel/etc. tools into Visual Studio, so that you can use VS to compile Haxe projects?

Or do you mean you want to specify the C++ compiler that's used when you build native (eg. Windows) Haxe targets?

--
HaxeFlixel Development Community
See our github https://github.com/haxeflixel/ and our documentation http://haxeflixel.com/documentation/
---

Lobster Mobster

Jun 2, 2015, 6:53:48 PM6/2/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
I want to specify the C++ compiler for building native Windows targets. I already have Visual Studio 2015 Community set up, and I want to use it as a compiler, rather than having to install VS 2010 (as happens when I type lime setup windows).

Lobster Mobster

Jun 6, 2015, 9:26:38 PM6/6/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
Anyone know how to do this?

Nathan Dister

Jun 9, 2015, 11:06:37 PM6/9/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
I figured it out by trial and error, but someone submitted a pull request to haxecpp for Visual Studio 2015 support (its not a Flixel/OpenFL issue) to fix this.  Basically you need to edit a batch script in the haxecpp module that points at the correct visual studio environment variables: