Black icon, even when no icon is defined in Project.xml

Justin C.

Dec 22, 2015, 4:42:43 PM12/22/15
to HaxeFlixel
So basically, if you couldn't tell, my game's icon is black when built. This happens on both Neko and Windows, even when no icon is defined in Project.xml.

Note: I'm using SourceTree to backup my project and all that, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Note (2): The icon I am trying to use is a .svg

Justin C.

Dec 22, 2015, 4:44:40 PM12/22/15
to HaxeFlixel
Note (3): I have my assets folder embedded into the executable.

<assets path="assets" embed="true" />

The way I'm loading the icon is like this:

Enter code here<!--Place custom nodes like icons here (higher priority to override the HaxeFlixel icon)-->

<icon path = "assets/coin.svg" />

<assets path = "assets" embed="true" >

<assets path = "data/font.ttf" id = "font" />

<music path = "music/level-1.ogg" id = "level1_music" />

</assets>...

Gama11

Dec 22, 2015, 5:41:39 PM12/22/15
to HaxeFlixel
What happens with other Flixel projects (flixel-demos)? Do those use the HaxeFlixel logo an icon?

Justin C.

Dec 22, 2015, 5:54:51 PM12/22/15
to HaxeFlixel
The HaxeFlixel icon does appear for demos, and refreshing the icon cache doesn't seem to do much.

Gama11

Dec 22, 2015, 5:57:55 PM12/22/15
to HaxeFlixel
That narrows it down to your project at least. Doesn't explain why you wouldn't be seeing the HaxeFlixel icon there as well "even when no icon is defined in Project.xml" though. Have you tried removing your custom <icon> and cleaning the output directory before recompiling?

Could you provide the icon's svg?

Justin C.

Dec 22, 2015, 6:04:05 PM12/22/15
to HaxeFlixel
Clearing out the export folder and removing the icon (somewhat) reverted the icon back to the default icon. It appears on the game window, but not in the taskbar. Here's a screenshot of that:

http://puu.sh/m5iVH/112c5b492d.jpg

Also, here's my svg file.
coin.svg

Gama11

Dec 23, 2015, 5:14:05 AM12/23/15
to HaxeFlixel
That icon shows up black for me as well, so that narrows it down to being an issue with the svg itself. I'm not sure what exactly Lime doesn't like about this particular .svg, but I suggest you open an issue over at the Lime issue tracker.

In the meantime, you could convert the icon to .png as a workaround. You can provide one for each size if you want.

Ashiq A.

Dec 23, 2015, 7:52:13 AM12/23/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
I remember discussing this with Joshua. The SVG library they use/implement doesn't implement the full set of SVG instructions or something. Some (many) icons get butchered. There are some issues open for this somewhere.

 I didn't know you can use PNGs instead, which is an excellent alternative.

--
HaxeFlixel Development Community
See our github https://github.com/haxeflixel/ and our documentation http://haxeflixel.com/documentation/

Justin C.

Dec 23, 2015, 11:12:14 AM12/23/15
to HaxeFlixel
I was using PNGs for a little while in my project, but I think they stopped working or something. I'll go ahead and give them another go.

Justin C.

Dec 23, 2015, 3:56:34 PM12/23/15
to HaxeFlixel
Strange, when I try using PNGs nothing happens at all and it retains the default HaxeFlixel icon.

Ashiq A.

Dec 23, 2015, 4:02:21 PM12/23/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
I found the issue I opened for it. It's here: https://github.com/openfl/svg/issues/18

Can you try the decorative sun icon mentioned at the end of that list? It shows something (albeit not completely correct) when I used it last (one year ago).

Justin C.

Dec 23, 2015, 4:43:31 PM12/23/15
to HaxeFlixel
The decorative sun does nothing, like every other icon I've tried.

(The project still just builds with the default icon)

Ashiq A.

Dec 23, 2015, 5:08:12 PM12/23/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
There's something strange about your project.

I think you've reached the limit of what people can (or perhaps are willing) to do over the messaging group.

I see a couple of things left that you can do:

1) Upload your code somewhere (BitBucket? GitHub?) and ask someone to take a look at the project.
2) Find an existing (simplified) working project where the icon generates, and compare it to yours (Project.xml is a good place to start) to see what might be affecting your ability to generate the icon
3) Start with a known, working project, and add your code to it incrementally until it works, with the icon.

Justin C.

Dec 23, 2015, 5:11:25 PM12/23/15
to HaxeFlixel
I actually have the project hosted on BitBucket in a private repo, I could invite you to it (if you want to take a look at it)

I was thinking of doing that third thing you said, though.

Justin C.

Dec 23, 2015, 9:23:00 PM12/23/15
to HaxeFlixel
I just discovered something, it seems that project.xml is completely ignoring the line where I set an icon. I can enter anything (such as "assets/not_a_real_image.png") and it doesn't throw an error or anything.

Will Blanton

Dec 24, 2015, 11:11:50 AM12/24/15
to HaxeFlixel
I recently tried an SVG for an android build and it shows only the top-left quarter of the image. I've switched to PNGs on the windows build and they're working ok, but on android it's like I need to clear an icon cache somewhere.

Ashiq A.

Dec 24, 2015, 11:21:25 AM12/24/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
@Will if you can add a comment to this issue, and attach the SVG, someone will eventually take a look: https://github.com/openfl/svg/issues/18

I encountered a similar issue with some SVGs that use translate(x) but don't specify a y-coordinate (the default is 0).

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Will Blanton <b.ult...@gmail.com> wrote:
I recently tried an SVG for an android build and it shows only the top-left quarter of the image. I've switched to PNGs on the windows build and they're working ok, but on android it's like I need to clear an icon cache somewhere.

--
HaxeFlixel Development Community
See our github https://github.com/haxeflixel/ and our documentation http://haxeflixel.com/documentation/
---

Justin C.

Dec 24, 2015, 11:45:03 AM12/24/15
to HaxeFlixel
Hey guys, I fixed my issue by making a few different sizes of a PNG icon, and also including a SVG icon.

Would that possibly help you, Will?

Will Blanton

Dec 24, 2015, 2:24:27 PM12/24/15
to HaxeFlixel
Yeah, that's what I'm doing now and it seems to work ok!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "HaxeFlixel" group.