Selling Game's Source Code that Uses Haxeflixel

NeithR

Mar 27, 2016, 2:24:28 PM3/27/16
to HaxeFlixel
Greetings, All.
I have a question about HaxeFlixel's license (https://github.com/HaxeFlixel/flixel/blob/dev/LICENSE.md).

I have a game that I made long ago. I want to sell its source code and it uses HaxeFlixel library. However. the HaxeFlixel library will be not included in the sale. In the license, since I redistribute the source code still requires Haxeflixel code ("you only have to include this license if you are redistributing source code that includes the Flixel library"), it means I have to include the license. Now, the licence also said "Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software". About the "Free of charge", does that mean I can't put price for my game's source code that uses Haxeflixel?

Thank you very much.

Domagoj Štrekelj

Mar 28, 2016, 3:33:41 AM3/28/16
to HaxeFlixel
Hello,

HaxeFlixel uses the MIT License. As the website succinctly puts it, MIT is a license that "lets people do anything with your code with proper attribution and without warranty".

As I understand it, you should be fine to do anything as long as you include the original license file(s) of any and all dependencies along with your own.

An actual member of the HaxeFlixel dev team will probably chime in with his or her take. Though if you really want peace of mind, talking to a legal professional is always a possibility.

Domagoj

NeithR

Mar 28, 2016, 9:44:51 PM3/28/16
to HaxeFlixel
Thanks for the reply.
I still couldn't find where the "MIT" part in the site, but after comparing the license in the github and the MIT license from your reply, they are indeed the same license.
Thank you very much for helping.