What is an Add-Ons Actually? (flixel.addons)

Moshe Adriano Yosef Feit

Nov 8, 2015, 1:39:21 PM11/8/15
to HaxeFlixel
Hi,

This nothing but a question, you know, curiosity.

I've been playing around with HaxeFlixel recently, used many library that Flixel provided. But it raises me a question.

For example, the FlxButton and FlxButtonPlus. I often use FlxButtonPlus rather than FlxButton. Because this add-ons is more powerful (or easier). For example, the Width and Height parameter while creating the button only available with FlxButtonPlus. And many other example I've experienced.

My question is, why didnt you just update the old (for example the FlxButton) library instead of creating a new one (add-ons)?

Thank you in advance,
Have a good day!

SruloArt

Nov 8, 2015, 4:22:43 PM11/8/15
to HaxeFlixel
* The addons are a bunch of classes deemed not "core" material.

* The attention given to them in terms of bug fixing etc. as compared to the "core" classes is a lot smaller.

* They are kept this way because while they may still provide some more needed functionality, this isn't regarded as a "must-have" in the flixel repository.

Gama11

Nov 9, 2015, 10:07:38 AM11/9/15
to haxef...@googlegroups.com
FlxButtonPlus is one of the classes that's been ported from the AS3 "Flixel Power Tools". The power tools were intended to be used in conjunction with flixel, so they couldn't really change any of the core classes.
By this point they could probably be merged into a single class, but since both approaches are quite different that would break a lot of exisiting code.