is Hawkboad kernel available on 3.0+?

Arun K. Singh

Apr 12, 2012, 10:20:56 PM4/12/12
to hawkboard
hi,

I just started using hawkboard with the default kernel image/source
provided in the hawkboard wiki page is quite old- based on 2.6.32+
kernel?
Is anybody working to port latest kernel on hawkboard?

It would be good to identify the board specific changes needed to port
to latest kernel.

Thanks,
Arun

Juan Vaca

Apr 12, 2012, 10:59:31 PM4/12/12
to hawk...@googlegroups.com
It seems that hawkboard project was died =(

Hotislandn

Apr 12, 2012, 11:09:29 PM4/12/12
to hawk...@googlegroups.com
You can try to use the PSP from TI website, which is for DA850 EVM.
It contains verison 2.6.37 kernel source.

Best Wishes
Hotislandn
www.mcuzone.com
www.mcuzone.com/forum/
Gmail(PC): hotis...@gmail.com
TEL: +86-18913989166

J T Dsouza

Apr 13, 2012, 3:32:45 AM4/13/12
to hawk...@googlegroups.com
Hawkboards made by Innovate were a piece of junk. A nice con game pulled on everyone.

ravone

Apr 13, 2012, 3:46:01 AM4/13/12
to hawk...@googlegroups.com
I builded vanilla kernel 3.2 for my hawk. All ok.

Arun K. Singh

Apr 13, 2012, 8:19:01 AM4/13/12
to hawk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ravone,  Hotislandn ,

Thanks for the response. I am trying to do exactly the same. forward port the patches of Hawkboard to latest 3.3.1. I am still setting up cross compiler tool-chain for hawkboard and will update all once I succeed with my luck with these experiments.

J T Dsouza : I haven't reached the advanced stage of playing with hawkboard to declare them junk. To me they seem to boot, flash & download images from host ..ok so far(these are the only things I have done with it so far :-) ) except problems in specific areas of NAND flash and auto booting is not an option.

But eventually once I try bringing up individual devices on this board and fail to get response from my drivers can I start commenting on the worth of these boards. till then its still playing phase for me on hawkboard. Do you know any advanced usecases on hawkboard that doesn't work?

Best Regards,
Arun K. Singh
www.crazydaks.com

Rich Tanner

Apr 13, 2012, 5:02:49 PM4/13/12
to hawk...@googlegroups.com
Arun,
As far as I can tell, what is most important is which batch of Hawkboard you happen to have.
By all accounts I've found, that first-original batch of Hawkboards simply work fine.
The OMAP chip has text on it which says "XOMAP" on the original "good" batch.

As best I can tell, the later batches of Hawkboards used some different parts, including
a newer OMAP chip, and there have been loads of reported problems with boards
from those later batches.
Again, as best I can tell, the first-batch worked and the later batches were hit-or-miss
and often unstable or selective about which version of code it would function properly with.

I purchased 6 Hawkboards from the later batches and found all of them had a variety of
weird and un-stable problems. After digging into the schematic I found several things
I did not like. I made about 13 modifications to each of my boards and they now
appear to be perfectly stable.
(One board had a dead power chip, but I replaced that and it's now fine.)

So, the best advice I can offer is to look closely at your OMAP chip with a magnifying glass
or microscope and see what lettering is on that chip. If it says "XOMAP", then it should be
fine (assuming it has not been abused somehow), but if not, then maybe we should talk
about what I did to "fix" my Hawkboards.
Rich

Apr 17, 2012, 2:28:19 PM4/17/12
to hawk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ravone,

What is the def config you used for building on 3.2? I have latest 3.3.2 and after painful diffing 2.6.32-rc6 and linux-omap tree and comparing with latest vanilla kernel, I find that TI has mainlined many of the changes they did for hawkboard to kernel. Viz the driver ata changes or those related to davinci config in board-omapl138-hawk.c etc.

Surprisingly omapl138_hawkboard_defconfig is itself missing in arch/arm/config folder ..? unless they moved this config to another or more recent of this family of boards ...

Best Regards,
Arun K. Singh
www.crazydaks.com

2012/4/13 ravone <ravon...@gmail.com>
hawk

LoWeN

May 30, 2012, 3:09:11 PM5/30/12
to hawk...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

You can use the stock 3.4.0 kernel sources.
Here are the steps to have something booting from the mmc.
The commands are for cross compiling from  a debian 6.0
All the pre config for the da vinci is hidden under : da8xx_omapl_defconfig as the da vinci is a sub type of thoses.

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- distclean
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- da8xx_omapl_defconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- menuconfig
    system type
        ti davinci implementations
    device drivers
        serial ata and parallel ata drivers
            <everything>
        usb support
            support for host side usb
            usb gadget (needed to get musb aka inventra high speed dual role controller (ti,adi,..))
            plateform glue layer da8xx/omap-l1x
        mmc/sd/sdio card support
            ti davinci multimedia card interface
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- uImage modules modules_install

Of course you can customize more than that.
This is what I need and is just a starting point.

Regards,

LoWeN

ravone

May 31, 2012, 1:10:55 AM5/31/12
to hawk...@googlegroups.com
Arun K. Singh, sorry. I have not seen your post( See LoWeN msg.

LoWeN, that's right, tnx!