LH down

John Cowan

Apr 7, 2017, 2:10:15 PM4/7/17
to hattics
As you all probably know by now, LH is down.  For some reason, the connection between the front-end machine that formats posts and accepts comments, and the back-end machine that maintains the database in which posts and comments are stored, is broken.  (It's possible these are physically the same machine, in which case it's a configuration problem.) Hopefully we'll hear something from Songdog or Steve fairly soon.

In the meantime, I wanted to remind you that you can still google existing posts with [site:languagehat.com "subject matter"] and then find and click on a post you wish to see.  After "Error establishing a database connection" appears, change the URL in the URL bar from "http://languagehat.com/..." to "http://web.archive.org/20202020202020/languagehat.com/...".  This will display the somewhat out-of-date copy of the page at the Internet Archive.  That's seven copies of "20", referencing a date and time comfortably in the future: it will then display the latest version.  (I know there is no month 20; it still works.)

--
John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        co...@ccil.org
That you can cover for the plentiful and often gaping errors, misconstruals

Aidan Kehoe

Apr 7, 2017, 4:32:54 PM4/7/17
to John Cowan, hattics

Thanks John! انشالله the site will be back up soon--do you know if there are
backups in place in case the database is entirely corrupt?

Best,

Aidan

Ar an seachtú lá de mí Aibréan, scríobh John Cowan:
--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after forty pints of stout’

John Cowan

Apr 7, 2017, 4:47:08 PM4/7/17
to hattics
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Aidan Kehoe <keh...@parhasard.net> wrote:

Thanks John! انشالله the site will be back up soon--do you know if there are
backups in place in case the database is entirely corrupt?

I'm told there are, but I don't know how up to date they are.  We'll have to see when one of the big dogs weighs in.

--
John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        co...@ccil.org
Economists were put on this planet to make astrologers look good.

The Hat

Apr 7, 2017, 9:56:53 PM4/7/17
to hattics, johnw...@gmail.com
WebFaction migrated the LH account to a new server and the site has been down for hours now.   Songdog is trying to get the issue resolved.  Am going to bed; we'll all hope for the best.  Sorry about this!

The Hat

Apr 7, 2017, 9:59:37 PM4/7/17
to hattics
...And it appears to be resolved.  All hail Songdog, and I'm going to bed!