A Goy Who Speaks Yiddish

Stephen Bruce

Jan 8, 2014, 11:27:50 AM1/8/14
to hat...@googlegroups.com
I can't seem to post comments anymore, but for those participating in the discussion on Gentiles learning Hebrew, I thought I'd mention a recent book I heard about, A Goy Who Speaks Yiddish: Christians and the Jewish Language in Early Modern Germany, by Aya Elyada. One of these goyim was Goethe, who learned Yiddish from a converted Jew and wrote a poem in the language.

The Hat

Jan 8, 2014, 8:24:12 PM1/8/14
to hat...@googlegroups.com
I'm distressed to hear you can't post comments!  What message are you getting when you try?

Ran Ari-Gur

Jan 8, 2014, 9:18:16 PM1/8/14
to hat...@googlegroups.com
Did your comment happen to include a link?

The first time I tried posting a comment, it just never appeared (no error message or anything); but I found that later comments I posted went through just fine. That first comment of mine contained a link to Hat's RSS feed (I was replying to a comment that asked for it), and I'm guessing that the spam-catcher didn't like seeing a link in a comment by someone it had never seen before. (If I tried to post a link now, maybe it would go through. I haven't tried.)

-Ran

Stephen Bruce

Jan 11, 2014, 2:48:27 PM1/11/14
to hat...@googlegroups.com
t did have a link, and I didn't receive any message, so maybe it was that. It might also be my browser (Safari), so I'll try with Firefox. Though first I need to come up with some more things to say!