Health Applications Society Online Seminar on May 27 by Professor Oguzhan Alagoz

INFORMS Health Applications Society Online Seminar Series

May 24, 2022, 2:00:11 PM5/24/22
to INFORMS Health Applications Society Online Seminar Series
Dear colleagues,

We are excited to announce our next HAS Online Seminar by Dr. Oguzhan Alagoz, from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The details of the seminar are below. Click here to register for the event!

Stochastic Modeling to Personalize Cancer Screening
Friday, May 27, 1-2pm ET (10-11 am PT)

Abstract: This talk describes the use of partially observable Markov decision processes (POMDPs) for personalizing cancer screening. POMDP models can be used to address several controversial open research questions in cancer screening, such as when to start and stop screening and how often to screen. We demonstrate the development and application of a POMDP- based personalized cancer screening policy using breast cancer as an example. In addition, we briefly describe how non-adherence to the screening recommendations, limited screening resources, and existence of chronic conditions could be addressed using the POMDP modeling framework. Finally, we describe successful POMDP applications in other cancers including personalizing colorectal and lung cancer screening.

Bio: Oguzhan Alagoz is Proctor & Gamble Bascom Professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and also serves as the director of NIH- funded Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR)- Simulation Center. His research interests include stochastic optimization, medical decision making, completely and partially observable Markov decision processes, simulation, risk- prediction modeling and health technology assessment. He is co-leading the University of Wisconsin Breast Cancer Simulation Model, a member of the National Cancer Institute’s Cancer Intervention and Surveillance Modeling Network. He is currently serving as the editor-in-chief of IISE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering and associate editor for Operations Research. He has received various awards including a CAREER award from National Science Foundation (NSF), outstanding young industrial engineer in education award from IISE, Dantzig Dissertation Honorable Mention Award from INFORMS.

We are also honored to have more extraordinary speakers lined up for the upcoming seminars in the following months. Please block the same time slot 1-2pm ET (10-11am PT) on 4th Friday of June-September on your calendar for:
  • June 24, Professor Vishal GuptaUSC Marshall School of Business, the winner of the 2021 Pierskalla Award
  • July 22, Professor Carri ChanColumbia Business School
  • (August: Details coming soon!)
  • September 23, Professor Stefan Scholtes, University of Cambridge
We would like to thank everyone who attended previous seminars! If you couldn't make it before, now you can view the recordings following the links archived in the "Past Seminars" Section of our HAS seminar webpage. If you have any questions, let us know at hassemin...@gmail.com.

You can also find the details of the seminar in the event flyer. Feel free to share it with anyone who could be interested among your colleagues and student groups.

Looking forward to seeing you there and then!

Best regards,

HAS Online Seminar Organization Team
Sanjay Mehrotra (Northwestern)
Sait Tunc (Virginia Tech)