ETA for a release supporting GHC 8.10?

Gleb Popov

Jul 20, 2020, 1:07:11 PM7/20/20
to haskell-stack
Hello. Is there any plans to do a minor Stack release that would support GHC 8.10?

Right now it doesn't build either due to pantry not supporting newest base or Stack itself not supporting new Cabal.

Thanks in advance.

Gleb Popov

Aug 5, 2020, 10:54:09 AM8/5/20
to haskell-stack
Bump. I'd like to package GHC 8.10 for FreeBSD, and stack is the last blocker remaining.

Dan Burton

Aug 5, 2020, 11:37:49 AM8/5/20
to Gleb Popov, haskell-stack
What exactly is the problem?

When I do this:

stack unpack stack-2.3.1 && cd stack-2.3.1
echo 'resolver: nightly-2020-08-03' > stack.yaml
stack build --dry-run

It constructs a valid build plan using ghc 8.10 for building stack-2.3.1 which includes the latest pantry and latest Cabal.

-- Dan Burton

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 10:54 AM Gleb Popov <6yea...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bump. I'd like to package GHC 8.10 for FreeBSD, and stack is the last blocker remaining.

Gleb Popov

Aug 5, 2020, 11:39:46 AM8/5/20
to haskell-stack
On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 7:37:49 PM UTC+4 danbur...@gmail.com wrote:
What exactly is the problem?

When I do this:

stack unpack stack-2.3.1 && cd stack-2.3.1
echo 'resolver: nightly-2020-08-03' > stack.yaml
stack build --dry-run

It constructs a valid build plan using ghc 8.10 for building stack-2.3.1 which includes the latest pantry and latest Cabal.

-- Dan Burton

Hmm, it failed for me last time I tried it. I'll retry and come back if it won't work for me, thanks.

Dan Burton

Aug 5, 2020, 12:31:20 PM8/5/20
to Gleb Popov, haskell-stack
I tried the build and it seems that stack-2.3.1 has a build failure with pantry-0.5.1.1 due to src/Stack/Types/Resolver being duplicated in both.

-- Dan Burton

Gleb Popov

Aug 5, 2020, 1:12:49 PM8/5/20
to haskell-stack
On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 8:31:20 PM UTC+4 danburt...@gmail.com wrote:
I tried the build and it seems that stack-2.3.1 has a build failure with pantry-0.5.1.1 due to src/Stack/Types/Resolver being duplicated in both.

-- Dan Burton

Yep, it is exactly the problem I met.

Is there a hope for quick release, or I should just patch it our side?

Dan Burton

Aug 5, 2020, 1:55:51 PM8/5/20
to Gleb Popov, haskell-stack
I'm not sure what the planned release schedule is, but the patch _should_ be fairly simple if that's the way you want to go.

-- Dan Burton

Emanuel Borsboom

Aug 5, 2020, 2:03:08 PM8/5/20
to Dan Burton, Gleb Popov, haskell-stack

Please see https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/pull/5361.  This is what will likely be stack-2.3.3, and supports being built using GHC 8.10.

Gleb Popov

Aug 7, 2020, 3:40:54 AM8/7/20
to Emanuel Borsboom, Dan Burton, haskell-stack

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:14 AM Emanuel Borsboom <ebor...@fpcomplete.com> wrote:

Just in case you haven’t seen the announcement: stack-2.3.3 has been released now.  https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/releases/tag/v2.3.3

Yep, I saw that. It is working for me now, thanks!