proposed changes to renderAsHTML function

stepcut

Mar 26, 2012, 9:09:44 PM3/26/12
to Haskell Server Pages
Hello,

I rewrote the renderAsHTML function making two key changes:

1. it now uses Text Builder instead of ShowS
2. it now has two render styles, Compact and Expanded

You can see my proposed module here:

http://hpaste.org/66044

These are obviously breaking changes as the change the type of
renderAsHTML. It would possibly to provide a backwards compatible
version of renderAsHTML and give the new functionality a new name. If
we do that, I would propose we mark renderAsHTML as deprecated ?

An opinions?

Also, I use Text Builder here which allows you to deal the encoding
issue until later. Maybe we should also have a UTF-8 ByteString
Builder version as well?

Ultimately, I hope that we will have an XML type based around Text or
Text Builder. Though it is not quite as easy as one might think.

- jeremy

Niklas Broberg

Mar 27, 2012, 2:58:24 AM3/27/12
to haskell-se...@googlegroups.com
No objections on my part. Personally I'm perfectly happy to throw backwards-compatibility out the window here, but then again I'm not the one actually using the library for industrial use.

Cheers,

/Niklas