streaming-bytestring and compression

Colin Woodbury

Jan 10, 2017, 4:14:53 PM1/10/17
to Haskell Pipes
Hi again, very much enjoying IO streaming.

Is there a way to decompress the contents of a `ByteString m r` on the fly that doesn't involve https://hackage.haskell.org/package/streaming-commons-0.1.16/docs/Data-Streaming-Zlib.html?

I can imagine some sort of:

decompress ::Monad m => ByteString m r -> ByteString m r

that could then be composed with `lines` for further processing.
Is there such a thing?

Thanks,
Colin

Michael Thompson

Jan 10, 2017, 9:44:12 PM1/10/17
to Haskell Pipes
Hi, Colin I constructed this a few months ago,

https://github.com/michaelt/streaming-utils/blob/master/Streaming/Zip.hs

It just translates the corresponding pipes module because it came up with stack overflow question I was looking at (a couple other of the modules in this repo just replicated corresponding pipes material). I haven't tested it at all though, so I haven't uploaded it to hackage. Maybe I will try constructing some tests. yours Michael.

Colin Woodbury

Jan 11, 2017, 10:27:26 AM1/11/17
to Haskell Pipes
Thanks Michael, that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Any intention of releasing that module?

Michael Thompson

Jan 14, 2017, 7:07:51 PM1/14/17
to Haskell Pipes
Yes, I will try on Monday. There is something else I wanted to repair before uploading.

Michael Thompson

Jan 17, 2017, 4:04:20 AM1/17/17
to Haskell Pipes
Dear Colin:

The Streaming.Zip module is in the new `streaming-utils` on hackage

All of the dependencies are on stackage now, so I sent a pull request to include it. Thanks for mentioning it!

yours, Michael

Colin Woodbury

Jan 19, 2017, 10:21:29 AM1/19/17
to Haskell Pipes
Thank you Michael, this will come in handy very soon.