haskell-ide repository name

Alan & Kim Zimmerman

Oct 26, 2015, 5:06:30 PM10/26/15
to haske...@googlegroups.com
At the moment the repository/project is called haskell-ide

This leads to the impression that it is an IDE.

It is actually a backend/server to provide services for an IDE

We are considering changing the name.

The options are

  haskides / ghc-ide-daemon / ghc-ide-service / ghc-ide-engine

Please cast your vote at http://strawpoll.me/5842105

Thanks
  Alan

Alan & Kim Zimmerman

Oct 30, 2015, 3:12:36 AM10/30/15
to haske...@googlegroups.com, haskell
This post generated some discussion on the mailing list(s) [1],[2] and on reddit [3].

The straw poll [4] garnered (as of time of writing this mail) 138 votes, broken down as

ghc-ide-engine   56 votes 41%
ghc-ide-service   43 votes 31%
haskides             19 votes 14%
ghc-ide-daemon 16 votes 12%
something else     4 votes  3%

So it seems -ide-engine is the favourite

In a bait-and-switch operation, I think it makes sense to keep the current "haskell-ide" prefix, and so rename it to

   haskell-ide-engine

This has the advantages of

  a) The prefix is the same, so continuity is slightly better

  b) It does not mentally shut out any tooling constructed using other compilers/techniques, such as haskell-src-exts

If anyone feels strongly that this is wrong, please let me know.

Regards
  Alan

Ilan Godik

Oct 30, 2015, 9:50:43 AM10/30/15
to Haskell IDE implementation discussion
I am for haskell-ide-engine.

בתאריך יום שני, 26 באוקטובר 2015 בשעה 23:06:30 UTC+2, מאת Alan Zimmerman:

Alan & Kim Zimmerman

Oct 30, 2015, 2:09:46 PM10/30/15
to haske...@googlegroups.com, haskell
Ok the repository and IRC channel have both been changed to haskell-ide-engine.

The timing is driven by wanting to get an accurate HCAR entry for the project.

Regards
  Alan