Move github.com/tommd/entropy over to CLC ownership?

Thomas DuBuisson

Aug 22, 2022, 6:52:00 PM8/22/22
to core-librari...@haskell.org
Committee,

I'd like to move entropy from the tommd github or over to the CLC controlled haskell org. My motivation is much the same as outlined by the CLC [1]:

```
* to reduce pressure on, and add support for, maintainers whose libraries have grown very popular; and
* to provide the community with a way to deal with the single-point-of-failure problem when a maintainer of a widely-used library becomes unavailable (perhaps for good reasons).
```

I'd be happy to continue merging PRs and making releases, but I shouldn't be the only maintainer since months can pass without my attention.

-Thomas

Andrew Lelechenko

Aug 22, 2022, 7:04:37 PM8/22/22
to Core Libraries Committee, Thomas DuBuisson
Thanks, Thomas.

I support the proposal to adopt `entropy` as a core package. https://hackage.haskell.org/package/entropy is very stable and almost 10 years old, so not much maintenance efforts are required, even if Thomas happens to be absent. It is deeply ingrained into Haskell ecosystem, including HLS (via `uuid` and `lsp`). It is extremely important to keep HLS dependencies in a healthy state, so I believe it would be prudent for CLC to extend its umbrella over `entropy`.

+1 from me.

Best regards,
Andrew

Andrew Lelechenko

Sep 24, 2022, 4:32:50 PM9/24/22
to Core Libraries Committee, Thomas DuBuisson
Dear CLC members,

Let’s vote on the suggestion to adopt `entropy` as a core package.

+1 from me for the reasons described below.

Best regards,
Andrew

Cale Gibbard

Sep 24, 2022, 4:34:56 PM9/24/22
to Andrew Lelechenko, Core Libraries Committee, Thomas DuBuisson
Sounds good to me, +1

On Sat, 24 Sept 2022 at 16:32, Andrew Lelechenko
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/haskell-core-libraries/98589C60-FDB5-46FD-9884-CCFA4303C7AB%40gmail.com.

chessai

Sep 24, 2022, 8:37:17 PM9/24/22
to Cale Gibbard, Andrew Lelechenko, Core Libraries Committee, Thomas DuBuisson

Tom Ellis

Sep 25, 2022, 4:17:26 AM9/25/22
to haskell-cor...@googlegroups.com
+1

Thomas DuBuisson

Sep 25, 2022, 2:37:56 PM9/25/22
to chessai, Cale Gibbard, Andrew Lelechenko, Core Libraries Committee
I tried to transfer the repo to /haskell In anticipation of a positive outcome here (easy enough to undo if needed). There is a permission issue right now [1], but I am happy to make the transfer any time.  Alternatively, I just invited Bodigrim to entropy and, once given maintainership, he could make the transfer.

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] "You don’t have the permission to create public repositories on haskell"

Andrew Lelechenko

Sep 26, 2022, 5:34:06 PM9/26/22
to haskell-core-libraries, Thomas DuBuisson
Thanks all, 4 votes in favour out of 6 possible are enough to approve.

The repository has been transferred to https://github.com/haskell/entropy

Best regards,
Andrew

On 25 Sep 2022, at 09:17, Tom Ellis <tom-...@tomellis.org> wrote:

+1

On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 05:36:55PM -0700, chessai wrote:
+1