Adopt vector-binary-instances as a core package

Andrew Lelechenko

May 10, 2023, 1:46:24 PM5/10/23
to haskell-core-libraries, Ben Gamari, Mikolaj Konarski
Dear CLC members,

Ben Gamari has asked CLC to adopt `vector-binary-instances` package (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/vector-binary-instances). `vector` itself is a core package under CLC governance, and `binary` is a GHC boot package, so ensuring that `vector-binary-instances` is well-maintained fits well into our role to keep core infrastructure in a good condition. The existing maintainers of `vector` agreed to pick up `vector-binary-instances` and maintain it in sync with `vector`, see https://github.com/haskell/vector/issues/442.

Let’s vote on adopting `vector-binary-instances` as a core package.

+1 from me.

Best regards,
Andrew

Mel Brown

May 10, 2023, 2:54:38 PM5/10/23
to haskell-cor...@googlegroups.com, bga...@gmail.com, mik...@well-typed.com
+1

Cheers
Melanie Brown

Moritz Angermann

May 10, 2023, 7:56:57 PM5/10/23
to Mel Brown, bga...@gmail.com, haskell-cor...@googlegroups.com, mik...@well-typed.com
I’m tentatively +1. Do we have an expected maintenance burden? How often do we expect this to happen? will every GHC release break the package?

Julian Ospald

May 11, 2023, 3:13:11 AM5/11/23
to haskell-cor...@googlegroups.com, Moritz Angermann, Mel Brown, bga...@gmail.com, mik...@well-typed.com
+1

Cheers,
Julian

Dmitrii Kovanikov

May 11, 2023, 5:07:35 AM5/11/23
to Julian Ospald, haskell-cor...@googlegroups.com, Moritz Angermann, Mel Brown, bga...@gmail.com, mik...@well-typed.com
+1

I don't see any objections especially if maintainers are willing to maintain another package.

Best regards,
Dmitrii

Andrew Lelechenko

May 12, 2023, 2:27:58 PM5/12/23
to Moritz Angermann, haskell-core-libraries
Expected burden is low, for quite a long time the maintenance was limited to bumping version bounds.

Best regards,
Andrew

Andrew Lelechenko

May 13, 2023, 7:28:05 AM5/13/23
to Ben Gamari, haskell-core-libraries, Mikolaj Konarski
Thanks all, there are enough votes to approve.

Ben, could you please transfer the package under github.com/haskell ?

Best regards,
Andrew