Coordination and closing of AFPP

Julian Ospald

Jul 7, 2022, 8:56:06 AM7/7/22
to haskell-core-libraries
Hi,

PRs for unix and Win32 are pending and awaiting release of filepath.

I've had difficulties to get the directory maintainer to respond, although I have basically done all the work necessary: https://github.com/haskell/directory/pull/136

I think it's important that directory will support this as part of the initial release in GHC-9.6.

If collaborating on directory proves to be difficult, I will make a fork and maintain it myself, while advertising users to migrate. So I'm asking CLC to help here, so that I don't have to make this step.

Additionally, I have no idea about release schedule of GHC-9.6 and have not been involved in it. So I don't know the schedule, what the process is of updating a core library and so on.

Cheers,
Julian

Andrew Lelechenko

Jul 7, 2022, 5:41:40 PM7/7/22
to Julian Ospald, haskell-core-libraries
Hi Julian,

I see that the latest action at https://github.com/haskell/directory/pull/136 is only two days ago, so hopefully you and Phil will come to a conclusion soon.

Unfortunately, CLC does not know release schedule of GHC 9.6 either. This sits squarely within GHC developers, please ask them for GHC 9.6 feature freeze date. From the previous experience, it usually occurs pretty soon after the previous release, maybe within a month or two, so probably September-October 2022, but it’s better to ask directly.

The process of updating is pretty straightforward: make a Hackage release, mirror it as a git tag, raise an MR to bump GHC submodule to that tag.

Best regards,
Andrew