array maintainers

Andrew Lelechenko

Oct 21, 2022, 2:19:55 PM10/21/22
to Core Libraries Committee, mi...@decentral.ee, july...@gmail.com, Carsten...@hotmail.de
Dear CLC members,

* Carsten König, https://github.com/CarstenKoenig
* Lei Zhu, https://github.com/July541
* Miao ZhiCheng, https://github.com/hellwolf

I think the more the merrier, so I suggest we offer them all a joint ticket to maintain `array`. Please cast your votes.

+1 from me.

Best regards,
Andrew

Tom Ellis

Oct 21, 2022, 2:58:55 PM10/21/22
to haskell-cor...@googlegroups.com
-1

Nothing against these particular volunteers (and thank you to each of
them for volunteering) but I think array should be brought under the
same CLC process as base.

Andrew Lelechenko

Oct 21, 2022, 3:32:43 PM10/21/22
to Tom Ellis, haskell-cor...@googlegroups.com
Tom, these are orthogonal questions. Even if we bring `array` under the same approval process as base, `array` still requires maintainers for daily routine: updating for new GHC versions, supporting test suite / benchmarks, releasing and synchronising with GHC developers. It’s unrealistic that CLC members will do this themselves.

You are very welcome to raise a proposal to change the treatment of `array`.

Best regards,
Andrew

Tom Ellis

Oct 22, 2022, 5:32:05 AM10/22/22
to haskell-cor...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps I misunderstood the notion of "maintainer". To me that
signifies someone who makes decisions about API evolution. Indeed in
your original Discourse post[1] you suggested that the new
maintainer(s) would be deciding whether or not to merge API-changing
PRs such as adding genArray[2]. To my mind decisions like that should
be made by the CLC or other similar body.

So, if "maintainer" means "daily routine: updating for new GHC
versions, supporting test suite / benchmarks, releasing and
synchronising with GHC developers" then +1 to these volunteers.
Thanks!

If "maintainer" means "making API decisions on what is a critical
ecosystem package" then -1.

Tom

[1] https://discourse.haskell.org/t/any-volunteers-to-maintain-array/5188

[2] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/packages/array/-/merge_requests/13

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 08:32:39PM +0100, Andrew Lelechenko wrote:
> Tom, these are orthogonal questions. Even if we bring `array` under
> the same approval process as base, `array` still requires
> maintainers for daily routine: updating for new GHC versions,
> supporting test suite / benchmarks, releasing and synchronising with
> GHC developers. It’s unrealistic that CLC members will do this
> themselves.
>
> You are very welcome to raise a proposal to change the treatment of `array`.

Tom Ellis

Oct 22, 2022, 5:37:19 AM10/22/22
to haskell-cor...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 08:32:39PM +0100, Andrew Lelechenko wrote:
> You are very welcome to raise a proposal to change the treatment of `array`.

Done

https://github.com/haskell/core-libraries-committee/issues/103

Miao ZhiCheng

Oct 28, 2022, 3:29:03 AM10/28/22
to Andrew Lelechenko, Core Libraries Committee, july...@gmail.com, Carsten...@hotmail.de
Hey all,

Happy to learn how to help. I have not maintained a hackage package before, but I should learn fast.

Cheers,

Carsten König

Nov 1, 2022, 12:30:01 AM11/1/22
to Miao ZhiCheng, Andrew Lelechenko, Core Libraries Committee, july...@gmail.com
Hello,

as I understood it the issue/candidates are still being discussed right?

Sorry if I missed a post or anything.

Best regards,

Carsten

Julian Ospald

Apr 12, 2023, 9:20:54 PM4/12/23
to Andrew Lelechenko, haskell-core-libraries, Tom Ellis, parso...@gmail.com, Moritz Angermann, Melanie Brown, Dmitrii Kovanikov
+1

Moritz Angermann

Apr 12, 2023, 9:37:05 PM4/12/23
to Julian Ospald, Andrew Lelechenko, Dmitrii Kovanikov, Melanie Brown, Tom Ellis, haskell-core-libraries, parso...@gmail.com
+1 sounds good to me.

Tom Ellis

Apr 13, 2023, 5:57:30 AM4/13/23
to haskell-core-libraries
+1

Dmitrii Kovanikov

Apr 13, 2023, 6:13:56 AM4/13/23
to haskell-core-libraries
+1

Melanie Brown

Apr 13, 2023, 8:11:05 AM4/13/23
to haskell-core-libraries
+1

Andrew Lelechenko

Apr 13, 2023, 6:50:36 PM4/13/23
to haskell-core-libraries, mi...@decentral.ee, Carsten...@hotmail.de, Lei Zhu
Thanks all, 6 votes in favour out of 7 possible are enough to approve the appointment of new maintainers for `array`.

Carsten, Lei, Miao, the current home of `array` is at https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/packages/array. If you could kindly register there and send me your usernames, I’ll ask admins to provide you necessary access. You might wish to consider moving `array` under github.com/haskell - if you prefer it this way, we can arrange it as well.

I also need your Hackage usernames to grant access, could you please share them?

I’m going to close CLC issues for `array`, they are now yours to tackle:

Best regards,
Andrew

On 13 Apr 2023, at 13:10, 'Melanie Brown' via haskell-core-libraries <haskell-cor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

+1

Miao ZhiCheng

Apr 14, 2023, 5:30:00 AM4/14/23
to Andrew Lelechenko, haskell-core-libraries, Carsten...@hotmail.de, Lei Zhu
On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 1:50 AM Andrew Lelechenko <andrew.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks all, 6 votes in favour out of 7 possible are enough to approve the appointment of new maintainers for `array`.

Carsten, Lei, Miao, the current home of `array` is at https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/packages/array. If you could kindly register there and send me your usernames, I’ll ask admins to provide you necessary access.

Thanks!!

And happy to work with you folks Carsten/Lei on this together! One quick idea already, would it be beneficial to port a CI script similar to this (or anything that's more commonly used in other CLCs) to gitlab for expedient the maintenance task? I am happy to take a lead on this on weekends.

Lei Zhu

Apr 14, 2023, 11:29:12 AM4/14/23
to Andrew Lelechenko, haskell-core-libraries, mi...@decentral.ee, Carsten...@hotmail.de
Thanks all for approving!

`July541` is my username for both haskell gitlab and hackage.

I prefer to transfer `array` to github.com/haskell since many of our basic packages are maintained on github, any advice?

Best regards,
Lei

Andrew Lelechenko

Apr 17, 2023, 5:11:47 PM4/17/23
to Lei Zhu, haskell-core-libraries, mi...@decentral.ee, Carsten...@hotmail.de
There is https://github.com/haskell/array/ already, but it has not been updated for 6 years, because GitLab repo was used as the source of truth.

Carsten, Miao, what do you think? Would you like to carry on with https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/packages/array or would you like to make https://github.com/haskell/array/  the main repo?

Best regards,
Andrew

Carsten König

Apr 18, 2023, 12:05:21 AM4/18/23
to Andrew Lelechenko, Lei Zhu, haskell-core-libraries, mi...@decentral.ee
Hello,

I'm fine with both. It's probably easier to stick with the GitLab one but if it makes more sense to move it I'll happily go along with it.
Let me know if I can help in any form.

Regards,
Carsten

Apr 18, 2023, 7:33:08 PM4/18/23
to Carsten König, Lei Zhu, mi...@decentral.ee, haskell-core-libraries
Alright, folks, you should have now access rights both to GitLab and to GitHub repositories, please proceed as you see fit with it. Fortunately, it’s three of you, so you should be able to break ties. Feel free to ping me if there are any org issues.

Best regards,
Andrew