[Haskell-cafe] Looking for maintainers or comaintainers on my Haskell projects

Christopher Done

Feb 28, 2017, 12:21:18 PM2/28/17
to Haskell Cafe

Hi all,

The short version is: I’ve been battling RSI in my fingers for some years. I’m doing various things to mitigate that problem, but I have very limited finger bandwidth these days; enough to work at my usual pace at my job, but not much in the evenings and weekends, and so I can’t manage to do much on my hobby projects. I’m also not as motivated these days to work on my set of open source projects, and am turning my attention to different things. It’s not great, but that’s life.

I don’t think that the users of my packages are getting the best maintainership deal. Rather than be “the absentee maintainer”, I’d prefer a straight-forward transition of maintainership or ownership to someone who can put the right energy and time in.

In terms of packages, there are really two that have a significant maintenance burden and users aren’t being served very well:

  • HIndent has a significant amount of issues opened for it regularly, and many of them require discussion and debate. If someone would like to become a co-maintainer, let me know. It may (eventually) make sense to move it to a more general GitHub organization like commercialhaskell or haskell.
  • Intero, which seems to have been a success, has a pretty big maintenance burden on “this doesn’t work” kind of issues which require investigation. There’s some Emacs Lisp work to do on it, and some Haskell work on the intero binary, and a whole lot of platform-specific problems or tooling not working together. On the other hand people really like this project, and there’s a lot of tooling potential.

If you want to take xeno and make it into a publishable package, please do so.

The rest of my projects that are on Stackage are: labels, ace, ical, check-email, freenect, frisby, gd, ini, lucid, osdkeys, pdfinfo, present, pure-io, scrobble, shell-conduit, sourcemap, descriptive, wrap, path, weigh, haskell-docs, and structured-haskell-mode. If you’re interested in taking over or co-maintaining any of them, let me know. Some are interesting, others are boring, some are trivial.

I have other packages on Hackage, but they’re mostly dead or experiments that don’t need maintenance anyway.

I’ve started the process of adding or changing maintainers on my public services:

  • Haskell News is now a GitHub organization. Luke Murphy is a co-owner, and has full access to the DigitalOcean account that is running the service. So if you want to work on that project, I’m not in the way.
  • lpaste has been moved to its own DigitalOcean account too. If anyone is interested in taking over the project or co-running it, let me know.
  • tryhaskell doesn’t really require any maintenance, but it’s also on its own DigitalOcean account now too.
  • IRCBrowse is now on its own DigitalOcean account too. It requires maintenance once in a while. If anyone is interested in taking over the project or co-running it, let me know.

Cheers!

Joe Hillenbrand

Feb 28, 2017, 1:19:10 PM2/28/17
to chri...@googlemail.com, Haskell Cafe
I'm interested in co-maintaining path and ini

Simon Jakobi via Haskell-Cafe

Feb 28, 2017, 1:33:33 PM2/28/17
to chri...@googlemail.com, Haskell Cafe
Hi!

I'd like to become co-maintainer of "path" which I already know a bit. I have also started watching a few of your other packages on GitHub.

I'm also in favour of moving "hindent" into the "commercialhaskell" organization.

Thanks for creating all these packages in the first place!
Simon

Oleg Grenrus

Feb 28, 2017, 1:58:35 PM2/28/17
to chri...@googlemail.com, Haskell Cafe
Thanks for making all there libraries! I use lucid extensively and could help maintaining it

Wojciech Danilo

Feb 28, 2017, 9:29:17 PM2/28/17
to Haskell-cafe, haskel...@haskell.org, chri...@googlemail.com, chri...@gmail.com
Chris, first of all, I'm sorry to hear about your problems and I hope you'll be getting better. Thank you for your input in Haskell community, we all know your libraries.
I'd love to be co-maintainer of path package. I use it extensively and was already planning to make some pull requests (allowing for example for env variables expansion).

All the best and thank you once again!
Wojciech

Sibi

Feb 28, 2017, 10:19:06 PM2/28/17
to chri...@googlemail.com, Haskell Cafe
Thanks for your effort. I'm interested in co-maintaining "shell-conduit" and "check-email".

Regards,
Sibi

Sibi, si...@psibi.in
Software Engineer @ Inkmonk,
Twitter/github/identi.ca: psibi
GPG Fingerpint: A241 B3D6 F4FD D40D D7DE B1C6 D19E 3E0E BB55 7613
Registered Linux User ID: 534664

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic

Feb 28, 2017, 11:39:50 PM2/28/17
to chri...@googlemail.com, Haskell Cafe
And here I was thinking I was already the maintainer of haskell-docs... ;-)

I'd like to help with structured-haskell-mode, but my elisp-fu is
unsufficient :(

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Mi...@gmail.com
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Christopher Done

Mar 1, 2017, 5:16:10 AM3/1/17
to Chris Done, Haskell Cafe
Thank you everyone for the support! I've received a number of offers of help which I'll be pursuing immediately. :-)

sighi...@163.com

Mar 1, 2017, 7:25:46 AM3/1/17
to haskel...@haskell.org

Hi!

I’m interested in co-maintaining the Hindent project. I use Hindent extensively and I have

submitted several patches to Hindent on github during the last year. I would like to contribute

to improving Hindent and making it better.

Thanks.

Tao He

Ertugrul Söylemez

Mar 1, 2017, 11:50:41 AM3/1/17
to chri...@googlemail.com, Haskell Cafe
Hi Christopher,

> The short version is: I’ve been battling RSI in my fingers for some
> years. I’m doing various things to mitigate that problem, but I have
> very limited finger bandwidth these days; enough to work at my usual
> pace at my job, but not much in the evenings and weekends, and so I
> can’t manage to do much on my hobby projects. I’m also not as
> motivated these days to work on my set of open source projects, and am
> turning my attention to different things. It’s not great, but that’s
> life.

Sorry to read that. Thank you for all of your contributions!

> I have other packages on Hackage, but they’re mostly dead or experiments
> that don’t need maintenance anyway.

As a heavy user of the foreign-store package I wouldn't mind
comaintaining or even maintaining it. It's the key dependency of Rapid.
My Hackage username is 'esz', my GitHub username is 'esoeylemez'.

Greets
ertes
signature.asc

Mario Blažević

Mar 2, 2017, 5:17:39 PM3/2/17
to chri...@googlemail.com, Haskell Cafe
I'm willing to take over the maintenance of frisby, as I already have
some experience with parser combinator libraries.

On 2017-02-28 12:18 PM, Christopher Done wrote:
> [...]

> services:
>

> * Haskell News <https://github.com/haskellnews> is now a GitHub

> organization. Luke Murphy is a co-owner, and has full access to the
> DigitalOcean account that is running the service. So if you want to
> work on that project, I’m not in the way.

> * lpaste <https://github.com/lpaste/lpaste> has been moved to its own

> DigitalOcean account too. If anyone is interested in taking over the
> project or co-running it, let me know.

> * tryhaskell <https://github.com/chrisdone/tryhaskell> doesn’t really

> require any maintenance, but it’s also on its own DigitalOcean
> account now too.

> * IRCBrowse <https://github.com/chrisdone/ircbrowse> is now on its own

> DigitalOcean account too. It requires maintenance once in a while.
> If anyone is interested in taking over the project or co-running it,

Ben Franksen

Mar 4, 2017, 1:06:00 PM3/4/17
to haskel...@haskell.org
Am 02.03.2017 um 23:15 schrieb Mario Blažević:
> I'm willing to take over the maintenance of frisby, as I already have
> some experience with parser combinator libraries.

It has been a while since I looked at frisby. I do remember that I had
several issues with it and found that the code was pretty hard to
understand, due to numerous unsafe optimization hacks. I'd be glad if
someone cleaned that up, so that it becomes easier to fix errors but I
guess that would be a piece of work, probably amounting to a re-write of
sorts. (To be clear, none of this is Chris' fault, of course, he just
updated cabal stuff.)

Cheers
Ben

Mario Blažević

Mar 5, 2017, 6:30:54 PM3/5/17
to haskel...@haskell.org
On 04/03/17 01:04 PM, Ben Franksen wrote:
> Am 02.03.2017 um 23:15 schrieb Mario Blažević:
>> I'm willing to take over the maintenance of frisby, as I already have
>> some experience with parser combinator libraries.
>
> It has been a while since I looked at frisby. I do remember that I had
> several issues with it and found that the code was pretty hard to
> understand, due to numerous unsafe optimization hacks. I'd be glad if
> someone cleaned that up, so that it becomes easier to fix errors but I
> guess that would be a piece of work, probably amounting to a re-write
> of sorts. (To be clear, none of this is Chris' fault, of course, he
> just updated cabal stuff.)

I suppose the first order of business would then be to write a test and
benchmark suite, to make sure that the modifications don't break
something. Mind you, there are no dependencies for the library (apart
from acme-everything of course). Is anybody using it privately?