uvacharta bachayim - choose life

David Seidenberg

Sep 24, 2023, 5:39:28 PM9/24/23
to ha...@googlegroups.com
Of all the confessions in the Sefardi machzor for Yom Kippur, the one very most important is this: "Lo bacharnu bachayim" -- We did not choose life.

That pretty much covers everything: how can we choose life, more life, abundant life, for ourselves, for our communities, for refugees, for the poor, for ecosystems, for the planet. Every step we take without addressing climate chaos is a step away from choosing life. Every moment of misplaced anger may also be a step away from choosing life.

May we be so blessed in the coming year to know which choice leads us toward more life, and to make that choice.

g'mar chatimah tovah!

Rabbi David Seidenberg