Packer v1.6.6 has been released

me...@hashicorp.com

Dec 16, 2020, 4:39:49 PM12/16/20
to HashiCorp Announcements
Hello HashiCorp Community,

Packer v1.6.6 has been released. This is our last release of the year, and our last patch release before the v1.7.0 release. It contains a number of goodies, including:

- The Amazon-ebs builder can now add tags to spot launch templates. [GH-10203]
- The virtualbox builder can now attach guest additions with the "none" communicator. [GH-10306]
- The VMWare builder is now compatible with MacOS BigSur networking changes. [GH-10384]
- HCL2 templates now support an "env" function for creating variables in addition to automatically loading variables with the "PKR_VAR_" prefix.

We've also fixed a few bugs and regressions, including:

- Some regressions in the QEMU builder that caused main disk duplication when disk_image. Some nil pointer dereferences, and a panic that occurred when disk_image was true but the file extension was empty.
- The `reverse` HCL function no longer breaks when given a list value
- The google compute builder no longer crashes when given the -on-error CLI flag.

But perhaps most importantly:

This release contains a large number of no-op refactoring changes. The Packer team at HashiCorp is preparing to split the plugins and core to make it easier for our third party maintainers and community members to release and maintain plugins, just like HashiCorp did with the Terraform Core-Provider split a couple of years ago.

The Packer team is committed to making sure that this split is seamless for our users and for our community maintainers -- if you are a community maintainer, you may be interested in following along with some of the work by looking at the core-plugin-split GitHub tag. No one needs to do anything, yet, but we felt it was worth calling out all the work that isn't making it into the changelog. We will be following up with lots of documentation and communication in early 2021 with more information.

Check out our change log for the full list of other changes and more details.

If you find any bugs or regressions, please reach out to us on the GitHub issue tracker to let us know.

Happy Holidays, and stay well!

The Packer Team