Vault 1.10.0-rc1, 1.9.4, 1.8.9, and 1.7.10 released!

Meggie Ladlow

Mar 4, 2022, 11:01:33 AM3/4/22
to HashiCorp Announcements
Hi folks,

The Vault team is announcing the release of the first Vault 1.10 release candidate, as well as Vault 1.9.4, 1.8.9, 1.7.10!

Open-source binaries can be downloaded at [1, 2, 3, 4]. Enterprise binaries are available to customers as well.

As a reminder, if you believe you have found a security issue in Vault, please responsibly disclose by emailing secu...@hashicorp.com and do not use the public issue tracker. Our security policy and our PGP key can be found at [5].

These releases contain fixes to low and informational severity findings identified in a recent third-party security audit.

The major features and improvements in the 1.10 release candidate are:
  • Database Plugin Multiplexing: External database plugins now use a single process for multiple database connections, reducing memory consumption. The Oracle database plugin is the first to leverage this capability.
  • Login MFA: 1.10 adds MFA for logins to Vault, replacing our Legacy OSS MFA system, which will be removed in Vault 1.11. Login MFA is configurable on individual namespaces. Our current Enterprise Policy MFA feature remains unchanged.
  • Remount Secrets Engines: In Vault 1.10, we have added support for remounting auth methods to our support for remounting secret engines.
  • Remount Across Namespaces (Enterprise): As of Vault 1.10, it is possible to move secret engines and auth methods mounted at a namespace path to a different namespace path.
  • Server Side Consistent Tokens: In Vault 1.10 the token format is changing. The new token format will allow us more control over our consistency model, allowing performance standby nodes to decide whether to forward requests if they are slightly behind the active node.
  • Public Key Infrastructure - Managed Key integration: 1.10 adds the ability to use hardware security modules as well as cloud key management systems to create, store and utilize CA private keys.  PKCS#11 HSMs, Azure Key Vault, and AWS KMS are supported.
The key fixes and improvements in 1.9.4 are:
  • Auth: Fix a bug that could result in a panic during header validation
  • Identity: Fix a bug that could result in a panic during OIDC key rotation.
  • PKI: Fix regression causing performance secondaries to forward certificate generation to the primary. See the Upgrade Notes [12] for more details.
See the Changelog at [6] for the full list of improvements and bug fixes.

See the Feature Deprecation Notice and Plans page [10] for our upcoming feature deprecation plans.

OSS [8] and Enterprise [9] Docker images will be available soon.

---

Upgrading

See [7] for general upgrade instructions.

As always, we recommend upgrading and testing this release in an isolated environment. If you experience any non-security issues, please report them on the Vault GitHub issue tracker or post to the Vault Discuss Forum at [11].

We hope you enjoy Vault 1.10.0-rc1, 1.9.4, 1.8.9, and 1.7.10!

Sincerely, The Vault Team

[1] https://releases.hashicorp.com/vault/1.10-rc1
[2] https://releases.hashicorp.com/vault/1.9.4
[3] https://releases.hashicorp.com/vault/1.8.9