Re: google group invite

Message has been deleted

Andres

Nov 4, 2009, 3:30:29 AM11/4/09
to Hash Functions
You might be able to do that. However, it's probably not the right
thing to do in the first place.

On Nov 4, 12:24 am, Tara <tan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to send google group invite to some email id's externally
> without having to actually sign in and invite a  member.
>
> I guess this could be done if I can figure out what hash/encoding
> algorithm goolge uses.
>
> The invite is usually in a form like this:http://groups.google.co.in/group/group-name/sub?s=EKpFQwAAADfLWYU0aYZ...
>
> Most probably, "EKpFQwAAADfLWYU0aYZHH1LGJCScNVo" is the encoded email
> address..
>
> Any body knows about this? Please let me know.
>
> Cheers,
> Tara

Tarannum Abbasi

Nov 4, 2009, 6:07:16 AM11/4/09
to hash-fu...@googlegroups.com
No no. That is not to spam or so.

Actually, am part of a trekking club(chennai trekking club) that has grown big. The usual procedure is - we have a new member enter his/her data in a form to register and then manually send our group invite to that person. The database where the info goes is a google spreadsheet. But as the club is growing we are trying to automate this procedure as it takes too much time to manually send the invite.

Cheers,
Tara

Paolo Bonzini

Nov 4, 2009, 6:37:32 AM11/4/09
to hash-fu...@googlegroups.com
On 11/04/2009 12:07 PM, Tarannum Abbasi wrote:
> No no. That is not to spam or so.
>
> Actually, am part of a trekking club(chennai trekking club) that has
> grown big. The usual procedure is - we have a new member enter his/her
> data in a form to register and then manually send our group invite to
> that person. The database where the info goes is a google spreadsheet.
> But as the club is growing we are trying to automate this procedure as
> it takes too much time to manually send the invite.

I suggest you export the spreadsheet to CSV and then use a library such
as ruby's "mechanize" to interact with the google groups page.

That said, since we're talking about spam, google groups sucks with
respect to spam filtering.

Paolo

Chuck Simmons

Nov 14, 2009, 6:30:08 PM11/14/09
to hash-fu...@googlegroups.com
[Apologies for propagating this oh so off topic thread, but, hey, we weren't talking about anything anyway...]

This should not be as simple as a hashed email address.  When google groups sends out an invite, it should first generate a random number and send that random number to the invitee.  When the user clicks on the invite, the random number is sent back to google, who can use it to look up a record in a database.  In principal, you wouldn't be able to guess the random number google would have chosen.  But even if you could guess, it wouldn't help you because google won't recognize the random number it would have generated if it hasn't actually generated that number.

If you sign in and invite the member, Groups may set up internal state inside the groups database that makes it easy for the invitee to interact with Groups.  (E.g. Groups would know that the invitee has been invited.)  If you don't want to set up the invitation ahead of time, you can just send the person an email telling them to join the group and send them a link to the page.

   http://groups.google.co.in/group/sachennaitrekkingclub/subscribe?hl=en-GB

Cheers, Ces