link share: a man blogs about mozilla ditching irc

1 view

Alon Levy

Jun 6, 2019, 3:39:08 AM6/6/19
to hasadna
Hi.

 This message is like a post in that it isn't a response to anything and
doesn't ask for a response. It is also not a criticism of anything,
rather something that echoed my own feelings and I wanted to share.

 What I'm linking to is a post by an open source developer who is
alarmed by a recent change by mozilla and hashicorp to stop using irc
channels or similar and move to inhouse discussion forums, trying to
take control of their community. So the focus is on a community. The
quote I wanted to share with you from the article, which I suggest you
read:
(https://michaelwashere.net/post/2019-06-04-eternally-corporate-september/)

``

 My sadness at projects attempting to manage communities with tools and
rules rather than mentor-ship and growing a community organically cannot
be understated. These are mistakes I’ve made personally and would take
back in an instant. If you run a community, don’t make the same mistakes
I made

``

Alon

pEpkey.asc