Friday 11/5 NYU Event 5:30-7:30pm-- Response & Resistance...Addressing the Systemic Violence Against LGBTQ Youth

1 view

Gina Sartori

Nov 3, 2010, 4:11:44 PM11/3/10
to Harvey Milk
Hey All,

Here's the event I spoke about last night thats happening this Friday at NYU.

Email me since I don't completely remember who said they could attend.

Also great mtg last night I feel good about our plan heading in to the coming month!

Gina
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:44:27 -0400
From: Chanelle D Pearson < chanelle.pearson  at nyu.edu>
Subject: Friday, 11/5 - Response and Resistance: Multiple Strategies Addressing Systemic Violence against LGBTQ Youth

Response and Resistance: Multiple Strategies Addressing Systemic Violence against LGBTQ Youth

Presented by the Stonewall Policy Alliance (SPA), Students for Criminal Justice Reform (SCJR), Alliance of Latino and Latin American Students (ALAS) and Wagner Intersectionality Studies Are Essential (WISE)

This dynamic fishbowl-style presentation will examine the implications of systemic violence and discrimination against LGBTQ youth. This event will discuss multiple responses employed by various grassroots advocacy organizations, researchers, and other practitioners.

Confirmed Panelists:

- Karina Claudio, Make the Road, GLOBE Program
- Chelsea Johnson-Long, Audre Lorde Project, Safe Outside the System
- Jared Ringer, LCSW, Anti-Violence Project
- Andrea Ritchie, Urban Justice Center

Moderated by Dr. Jo Rees, Adjunct Professor of Social Work, NYU Silver School of Social Work and Smith College

Discussion questions include:
- What are the forces of systemic violence, structural racism, and unique inequities that impact LGBTQ youth?
- What are the modes of resistance that the LGBTQ community and their allies utilize to combat these injustices?
- How can policy makers and service providers support these modes of resistance?

When: 11/05/2010 5:30pm-7:30pm
Location: The Puck Building, The Rudin Family Forum for Civic Dialogue, 2nd Fl.
295 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10012-9604

RSVP Today!http://wagner.nyu.edu/events/lgbt-11-05-2010

---
You are currently subscribed to lshr as:reds...@mindspring.com

 Response_and_Resistance.doc

 Respuesta y Resistencia.doc

       =   =   =
Check NY Activist Calendar frequently:http://nycal.mayfirst.org

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
THIS LIST HAS CHANGED. The project badly needs
outreach volunteers since I can no longer do that step.  Simply forward event announcements that you find tonypr...@lists.riseup.net .  You'll get a

~ For transit & travel info try these sites:
 onnyturf.com transit: http://is.gd/nv3a
 hopstop.com transit:  http://is.gd/nv3r
 safest bike routes: http://ridethecity.com/
 mta.info
 NJ Transit http://is.gd/nv3M

~ Read searchable event listings on the web
 http://lists.riseup.net/www/arc/nyprotest  orhttp://snipurl.com/NYPROTEST And please  send a friend this link.
~ Clicking "reply" to any message will  not reach that event's organizers.  ~ Ask me to switch your subscription to one  msg per day, two per week or to no mail/website  only. Or get a password reminder, & then  switch it yourself at:
http://lists.riseup.net/www/suboptions/nyprotest
~ Have a password reminder e-mailed to you:  http://lists.riseup.net/www/remindpasswd/
~ Change your riseup password to  something more easily remembered at:    http://lists.riseup.net/www/pref/

~ TO UNSUBSCRIBE   send a blank message to
 nyprotest-...@lists.riseup.net  or visit  http://lists.riseup.net/www/signoff/nyprotest or have me do it for you. --------

Sent from my iPhone