WE WONT wait NYC - important!!!!Call to Action: New Yorkers say Stop the Bigots, Stop the Hate!

frankie cook

Oct 16, 2010, 12:30:57 PM10/16/10
to Harvey Milk Day of Action
hey everyone,
                im sorry i been so out of touch with you guys. i had gotten back from lebanon and work got so hectic and i was doing some iso organizing at hunter college so yea apologize for my abscence and hopefully will see you all soon. but anyways i really wanted to encourage wait no more nyc to be involved in this action. In particular the reasons we initiated this (and very last minute by the way) was because of the incredible and disgusting rise in hate crimes, not only lgbt people, but also against muslims, and immigrants as well. (a muslim woman and her 4 year old were attacked in their car, this man punched the four year old and strangeled the woman and call them terrorists, and a number of immigrants have been killed in anti-immigrant hate crimes)   For me this rise is so connected to the rise of the right wing tea party "movement" and their constant tirade against muslims, gays, and immigrants and of course their hate filled media sponsors of fox news.  And for me they are most responsible for inciting people to hatred when they say that gays are disgusting, muslims are terrorists, immigrants are criminals etc.  So part of the idea was to really put the blame for this hate violence on the people who encourage it..hence fox news !  I also think there has been alot of response by the lgbt community, others in support of immigrants, and others in support of muslims, but there hasnt yet been a march that sort of stands up to all bigotry. the idea of is sort of when anyone is attacked we are all attacked or as they say "an injury to one is an injury to all". i already was able to talk with kris and eddie on the phone but was also busy reaching out to other groups too and i neglectd to send you all an email. But i think it would be great if wait no more was like officially part of this organizing (i know kris will be on the call today) and if as a group we want to endorse it. I don't know if we could or would want to do an email vote,but since its only a week a wway). anways id love to hear al of your thoughts...i should be at the tuesday dinna party so hopefully we can chat more then!
FRANKIE!

EMERGENCY Call to Action:
New Yorkers Say Stop the Bigots, Stop the Hate!

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 23RD
Rally at Columbus Circle NOON
March to Fox News Headquarters 1PM

Over the past few months there has been an escalation of hate crimes and bigotry growing throughout our city and country. In particular Muslims, immigrants, and LGBT (lesbian, gay bisexual, and transgendered) people have come under attack and been vilified by hate-mongering politicians such as Paladino and encouraged by media outlets such as Fox News. We must stand together to say no to hatred and violence no matter what group of people is targeted.

Fox news must be held accountable for their hate. When bigots like Glenn Beck and others from FOX NEWS attack gays, muslims, and immigrants each day on mainstream television, we should not be surprised when these attacks begin to take place.

In the past month, at least six LGBT people have committed suicide. A Muslim boy was beaten in his school while being called a "terrorist." Hate crimes and harassment have increased against Latinos in schools, workplaces and on the streets. The progressive community needs to come together and take a stand against hatred in all its forms. If we do not stand up to this hate, it will continue to grow!

Join an ad-hoc committee in saying
NO TO HATRED! NO TO BIGOTRY! AN INJURY TO ONE IS AN INJURY TO ALL!

Spread the word far and wide!

Join a mass organizing conference call for the march. Individual activists as well as representatives from organizations are welcome.

Saturday, October 16th, 1PM
Conference call Info: (661) 673-8600
Access code: 698198#

We would like as many individuals and organizations to sign on to the call to show our unity in stopping this bigotry from spreading. If you are interested, email:marchaga...@gmail.com

Recent Activity:
.

Edward Jones

Oct 18, 2010, 11:04:31 PM10/18/10
to mista...@gmail.com, Harvey Milk Day of Action
Frankie, Kris and all-- sorry for my late reply but I agree we should support these efforts. I am out of town the net three weekends however. I am also working with Courage Campaign to get all our videos up so there isn't much I can do... however I will forward along any info or FB events to my crew.

Thanks!