September 12

Rob

Aug 26, 2013, 2:37:42 PM8/26/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,
I think we are going to plan to meet September 12 for the next meeting here at the finalsite office. I'll create an Eventbrite event once I get some more details together.

Is anybody interested in giving a talk? If not, Kyle mentioned at the last meeting that we could all try to write scripts for http://rrobots.rubyforge.org and have a small competition. It looks like it hasn't been updated since 2005, but I'm willing to try it out and make sure that it still works if anybody is interested in doing that.

Last meeting we had some excellent conversations about test environments and the differences in frameworks, so I'm not against just running it as an open forum again either.

Anybody have any other ideas for what we could do or topics they would like to discuss?

Rob

Kyle Daigle

Aug 26, 2013, 7:58:23 PM8/26/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
I'll be on vacation during this meeting so I unfortunately won't be at this meeting. Have fun!

Ed

Sep 4, 2013, 8:29:49 AM9/4/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm also not going to be available for this meeting.
I do still think the rrobots thing sounds cool though and I hope to try it out some day.

Rob

Sep 4, 2013, 9:02:51 AM9/4/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
I've created an event so please register: https://hartfordrb-9-13.eventbrite.com

Also, still looking for a speaker. I tested out rrobots but its not functioning in jruby or ruby 2.0 so if anybody is interested in checking that out we can do that for another time.

Rohit Mehta

Sep 6, 2013, 9:32:43 AM9/6/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
rubyrobots should work fine in ruby1.8 ( i remember when all we had was ruby 1.8 and we liked it!)  I know it worked on my server at home, but I never really played with it that much.  Would be happy to set it up for 9/13 (whether or not I can come)

Thanks

Rob

Sep 6, 2013, 10:35:32 AM9/6/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try getting 1.8 installed on rvm and see if I can get it working with that.

If you can make it to the meetup it would be awesome if you wanted to run it. We could give each person or team 30 mins or so to get a robot together and see how everybody makes out.

Rohit Mehta

Sep 9, 2013, 9:53:43 PM9/9/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if I can make it down, but I'm going to try.  I remember crobots was a lot of fun.  Rubyrobots should be too.

I'll get rubyrobots running on my computer @ home in the next day or so and I'm happy to provide ssh or NX ( i think GTK and X11 are required)

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Rob <rdwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try getting 1.8 installed on rvm and see if I can get it working with that.

If you can make it to the meetup it would be awesome if you wanted to run it. We could give each person or team 30 mins or so to get a robot together and see how everybody makes out.

Rob

Sep 10, 2013, 9:43:18 AM9/10/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Let me know if you get it set up. Hopefully you'll be able to come join the fun too :)

Rohit Mehta

Sep 11, 2013, 10:32:04 PM9/11/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
It looks like rrobots.rb works fine in an Ubuntu or Debian VM as long as you have libtcltk-ruby1.8 package installed (presumably using system ruby1.8).  If nobody can get this working, I can provide NX access to my workstation, but you'll need to call my cellphone 860-634-0730.

I may be able to make it down last minute, but it is unlikely.  I'd be interested in seeing the robot codes and participating asynchronously though :)

ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ ruby rrobots.rb SittingDuck NervousDuck
./tkarena.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- tk (LoadError)
    from ./tkarena.rb:1
    from rrobots.rb:177:in `require'
    from rrobots.rb:177:in `run_in_gui'
    from rrobots.rb:303
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS"
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ #lucid or precise should be fine
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ which ruby
/usr/bin/ruby
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ ruby -v
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ ruby rrobots.rb SittingDuck NervousDuck
./tkarena.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- tk (LoadError)
    from ./tkarena.rb:1
    from rrobots.rb:177:in `require'
    from rrobots.rb:177:in `run_in_gui'
    from rrobots.rb:303
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ #hmm
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ apt-cache search ruby |grep tk
libgtksourceview-3.0-common - common files for the GTK+ syntax highlighting widget
libatk1-ruby - Transitional package for ruby-atk
libatk1-ruby1.8 - Transitional package for ruby-atk
libatk1-ruby1.8-dbg - Transitional package for ruby-atk-dbg
libglobalhotkeys-ruby - Transitional package for ruby-globalhotkeys
libglobalhotkeys-ruby1.8 - Transitional package for ruby-globalhotkeys
libgtk2-ruby - Transitional package for ruby-gtk2
libgtk2-ruby1.8 - Transitional package for ruby-gtk2
libgtk2-ruby1.8-dbg - Transitional package for ruby-gtk2-dbg
libgtksourceview2-ruby - Transitional package for ruby-gtksourceview2
libgtksourceview2-ruby1.8 - Transitional package for ruby-gtksourceview2
libgtksourceview2-ruby1.8-dbg - Transitional package for ruby-gtksourceview2-dbg
libgtksourceview2.0-common - common files for the GTK+ syntax highlighting widget
libtcltk-ruby - Transitional package for libtcltk-ruby1.8
libtcltk-ruby1.8 - Tcl/Tk interface for Ruby 1.8
libtcltk-ruby1.9.1 - Tcl/Tk interface for Ruby 1.9.1
ruby-atk - ATK bindings for the Ruby language
ruby-atk-dbg - ATK bindings for the Ruby language (debugging symbols)
ruby-globalhotkeys - Ruby binding to define global hotkeys
ruby-gtk2 - GTK+ bindings for the Ruby language
ruby-gtk2-dbg - GTK+ bindings for the Ruby language (debugging symbols)
ruby-gtksourceview2 - GtkSourceView2 bindings for the Ruby language
ruby-gtksourceview2-dbg - GtkSourceView2 bindings for the Ruby language (debugging symbols)
unhide.rb - Forensic tool to find processes hidden by rootkits
vim-gtk - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - with GTK2 GUI
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ sudo apt-get install libgtk2-ruby1.8 -y
[sudo] password for ro:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libgtk2-ruby1.8
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 208 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,310 B of archives.
After this operation, 33.8 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe libgtk2-ruby1.8 all 1.0.3-1build1 [1,310 B]
Fetched 1,310 B in 0s (14.9 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package libgtk2-ruby1.8.
(Reading database ... 368939 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libgtk2-ruby1.8 (from .../libgtk2-ruby1.8_1.0.3-1build1_all.deb) ...
Setting up libgtk2-ruby1.8 (1.0.3-1build1) ...
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ ruby rrobots.rb SittingDuck NervousDuck
./tkarena.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- tk (LoadError)
    from ./tkarena.rb:1
    from rrobots.rb:177:in `require'
    from rrobots.rb:177:in `run_in_gui'
    from rrobots.rb:303
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ apt-get install libatk1-ruby1.8 -y
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ sudo apt-get install libatk1-ruby1.8 -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libatk1-ruby1.8
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 208 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,310 B of archives.
After this operation, 33.8 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe libatk1-ruby1.8 all 1.0.3-1build1 [1,310 B]
Fetched 1,310 B in 0s (14.1 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package libatk1-ruby1.8.
(Reading database ... 368942 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libatk1-ruby1.8 (from .../libatk1-ruby1.8_1.0.3-1build1_all.deb) ...
Setting up libatk1-ruby1.8 (1.0.3-1build1) ...
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ sudo apt-get install libtcltk-ruby1.8 -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libtcltk-ruby1.8
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 208 not upgraded.
Need to get 2,837 kB of archives.
After this operation, 7,861 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/universe libtcltk-ruby1.8 amd64 1.8.7.352-2ubuntu1.3 [2,837 kB]
Fetched 2,837 kB in 4s (644 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package libtcltk-ruby1.8.
(Reading database ... 368945 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libtcltk-ruby1.8 (from .../libtcltk-ruby1.8_1.8.7.352-2ubuntu1.3_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up libtcltk-ruby1.8 (1.8.7.352-2ubuntu1.3) ...
ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ ruby rrobots.rb SittingDuck NervousDuck
^C/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk/timer.rb:40:in `callback': Interrupt
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1646:in `mainloop'
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1646:in `mainloop'
    from ./tkarena.rb:174:in `run'
    from rrobots.rb:189:in `run_in_gui'
    from rrobots.rb:303

ro@peanut:~/ruby/robots$ #success

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Rob <rdwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Awesome. Let me know if you get it set up. Hopefully you'll be able to come join the fun too :)

Rob

Sep 12, 2013, 9:55:05 AM9/12/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for checking it out. I'll probably try to get it working around lunch time. Right now we have a pretty small number of people registered, so maybe we'll just use this as a testing opportunity and try to push it a bit more for the next one.

Rob

Sep 12, 2013, 1:21:24 PM9/12/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
We've decided to cancel the meeting for tonight due to lack of interest. I'll try to have the rrobots stuff up and running earlier so that we can hopefully have that ready to go for next month.