ping hartford.rb

Aaron Junod

Feb 15, 2013, 6:55:43 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Anyone still out there? Just curious  :)

Kyle Daigle

Feb 15, 2013, 6:56:43 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Yup! I'm here. Would love to get something going again if there are people interested. I think location is the main thing…

New Haven.rb is going strong so I wonder if we commit to north of Hartford and land somewhere closer to Manchester? Not sure if that'd help or hurt us at this point.

Digital Workbox
Kyle Daigle
Digitalworkbox, llc

On Feb 15, 2013, at 6:55 AM, Aaron Junod <tra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Anyone still out there? Just curious  :)

Dana Merrick

Feb 15, 2013, 7:30:56 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm alive too.

Currently living in Boston and working at Brightcove as a DevOps engineer.

Making plans to move to San Francisco this fall (I actually just got back from 5 weeks over there working at Zencoder).

I hope all is well with you other Brigade members.

-Dana

Kyle Daigle

Feb 15, 2013, 7:32:48 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Heh, implemented Zencoder for a side project of mine. It's a really great service! Awesome.

Digital Workbox
Kyle Daigle
Digitalworkbox, llc

Aaron Junod

Feb 15, 2013, 7:49:37 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
This thread alone was worth sending the email this morning. I have a potential client I was looking at zencoder for. Now I know where to go for help.

Good luck on your move to SF.. Never been but eagerly awaiting the chance to go.

I could meet north of Hartford. I haven't written a line of Ruby in years but would dig getting together  :) Even just getting the list active again would be a plus.

Personally I've been doing more client stuff then server.. Android, Javascript, iOS (in that order unfortunately  ;) this week I may have actually spent more time in balsamiq then looking at curly braces..

Who else is still out there?  :)

Kyle Daigle

Feb 15, 2013, 7:55:02 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
It might be worth changing to opening something like:

In our area instead. I don't think we have enough Ruby folks but we have probably 15 - 20 coders that would come out for something like that potentially.

Digital Workbox
Kyle Daigle
Digitalworkbox, llc

Dan Bernier

Feb 15, 2013, 7:57:59 AM2/15/13
to Hartford.rb
I'm still here! Though most often down in New Haven. And, there's that Greater Hartford ACM chapter that's trying to get legs.

Re: openhack, I'm really seeing the value lately of non-tech-specific groups, especially because of the different perspective people from different tech communities bring to the conversation.

Yeah, thanks for kicking off this thread Aaron!

PATRICK GARRITY

Feb 15, 2013, 8:26:21 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com

I have not done much with Ruby in a while either. I am more into java and c# and interested in Android, Html5 and CSS. I would be interested in hearing more about openhack or other topics.

------------------------------

Rob Bazinet

Feb 15, 2013, 8:37:03 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm here, doing lots of Ruby.

--
Rob Bazinet
Sent with Sparrow

On Friday, February 15, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Aaron Junod wrote:

Anyone still out there? Just curious  :)

Rohit Mehta

Feb 15, 2013, 8:50:50 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm here doing less ruby and more C and learning Python :'(

I still love Ruby and Perl though. Manchester is very convenient for
me (more so than Hartford) Maybe a Panera bread meetup?

Rohit

Shawn Craver

Feb 15, 2013, 9:44:29 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Still here as well. Haven't touched Ruby in years, but I've stuck around because it was one of the few programmers groups in CT. And I agree, a less specific group would probably do better in this area. I'd actually thought about trying to get something like that going somewhere in the Hartford/Tolland County area for a while, but just never had the time.

Kyle Daigle

Feb 15, 2013, 9:48:55 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Alright, I might raise the flag to create an OpenHack in the Harford/Tolland area. Let me see what I can come up with and I'll report back.

Digital Workbox
Kyle Daigle
Digitalworkbox, llc

Scott Bolasevich

Feb 15, 2013, 9:50:50 AM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
ya i second that.. only reason i join also was cause of aaron and also not very many programmer groups in hartford area.. i still use ruby scripts from time to time

scott

Flinn

Feb 15, 2013, 8:14:02 PM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com, hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Nope

On Feb 15, 2013, at 6:55 AM, Aaron Junod <tra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Anyone still out there? Just curious  :)

Jared Hales

Feb 15, 2013, 9:31:28 PM2/15/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Still doing Ruby... but not still in Hartford, CT area.

Flinn

Feb 16, 2013, 7:19:42 PM2/16/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com, hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I'm still here too. Most recently I use Ruby for Hadoop Streaming and data analysis.

Would definitely be interested in getting the old crew together.

Dan Bernier

Feb 16, 2013, 7:57:05 PM2/16/13
to Hartford. rb

Flinn, I'd love to hear about using hadoop. Do you use it with ruby?

PATRICK GARRITY

Feb 16, 2013, 8:52:33 PM2/16/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com

I would love to hear more about hadoop as well. I would probably lean toward java but Ruby would work as well.

------------------------------

Flinn

Feb 17, 2013, 6:53:54 AM2/17/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com, hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
A lot of it is sort of skunk works at this point but I can share some details...

If you're familiar with Hadoop there is a package available called Hadoop Streaming which allows you to use just about any language to write map/reduce functions. We're using Ruby+Hadoop Streaming to analyze log and instrumentation from some of our systems. We're using that for web analytics and usability research to understand usage patterns... this is much deeper than click counts, etc. we analyze based on business knowledge as well as join web analytics to other back end systems data.

We also analyze for performance both on the client and server and can get pretty fine grained about where we have problems, etc. This turns out to be pretty useful in highly distributed systems.

We also use some other cool technology around these processes like Splunk and D3.js for visualization.

PATRICK GARRITY

Feb 20, 2013, 5:00:08 AM2/20/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Flinn, thanks for this great info.  I work with WESB, WAS and ODSI logs for both debugging and trend analysis so I am anxious to try your techniques.  Currently, we have a process that writes to access for short durations which is obviously not high-powered enough.

Thank you.
Patrick Garrity

On Feb 16, 2013, at 8:52 PM, PATRICK GARRITY <patrick...@snet.net> wrote:

> I would love to hear more about hadoop as well.  I would probably lean toward java but Ruby would work as well.
>
> ------------------------------
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 7:57 PM EST Dan Bernier wrote:
>
>> Flinn, I'd love to hear about using hadoop. Do you use it with ruby?
>> On Feb 16, 2013 7:19 PM, "Flinn" <thefli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah I'm still here too. Most recently I use Ruby for Hadoop Streaming and
>>> data analysis.
>>>
>>> Would definitely be interested in getting the old crew together.
>>>
>>> On Feb 15, 2013, at 8:14 PM, Flinn <thefli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Nope
>>>
>>> On Feb 15, 2013, at 6:55 AM, Aaron Junod <tra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone still out there? Just curious  :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/hartford-ruby-brigade?hl=en.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/hartford-ruby-brigade?hl=en.
>>
>> --

Flinn

Feb 21, 2013, 7:33:40 AM2/21/13
to hartford-r...@googlegroups.com, hartford-r...@googlegroups.com
Cool, I'd suggest the wukong rubygem. You can run ruby map/reduce scripts from the command line without having to run a full hadoop cluster which is nice for testing or just smaller sized data.