JMU SMAD project to focus on local environmental issues

Adrienne Hooker

Sep 27, 2019, 12:21:40 AM9/27/19
to Harrisonburg Ecominds
Hello all!

I'm looking to partner with local environmental groups / coalitions / organizations to help guide my SMAD 201: Foundations in Visual Communication students to learn more about the environmental issues facing us here in the Valley. I know our workgroup ranges the gamut from recycling and sustainability to land use and pollution mitigation. We welcome the plethora of diverse problems. Each semester SMAD students create a Call-to-Action campaign for a local non-profit of their choice. Typically research for local organizations is left to individual students. However this semester, I surveyed my 60+ students, and an overwhelming majority cited environmental concerns as the problem they want to tackle in their final projects.

I'd like to approach the research stage a bit differently and invite community partners into our classroom. I'm asking only 10-15 minutes of your time either the week of November 11th or 18th. With this knowledge base from our local environmental community, each of my students will develop a Call-to-Action campaign (including a poster, screen media piece, and free-choice piece). It could develop into something your organization / group uses!

If this sounds interesting, I welcome your emails to start the conversation. My email is hook...@jmu.edu (I know; very memorable!). I look forward to learning more about your group's vision and hope this can develop into a mutually beneficial partnership.

Thank you!
Adrienne Hooker, assistant professor
James Madison University
School of Media Arts and Design (SMAD)