opportunity to request dark sky lighting

Rob Alexander

Jul 1, 2021, 5:26:49 PM7/1/21
to harrisonbu...@googlegroups.com
All:

Please take the opportunity to weigh in on the City's Zoning Ordinance revision to ask that the committee includes language related to cut-off and full cut-off lighting in the use parameters of the proposed zoning changes.

For example, I submitted the following:

We have a real opportunity to improve the health, safety, ecology, and quality of life in our community by including use codes for outdoor lighting that specify cut-off and full cut-off lighting for new construction and development.  Multiple studies show how cut-off lighting is better lighting for communities by illuminating just the intended illumination space and not spaces where the additional lighting impedes visibility of safety concerns, distracts and confuses wildlife, and impacts sleep patterns of residents.  I strongly encourage the committee to examine model lighting codes and to consider integrating more specific language related to cut-off and full cut-off lighting into the ordinance.

Head to https://www.harrisonburgva.gov/zoning-subdivision-ordinances-update#meeting for full information on the first round of proposed ordinance.  You can submit your comments directly into the current proposal at http://online.encodeplus.com/regs/harrisonburg-va/doc-viewer.aspx#secid-1 or by emailing your comments directly to Ms. Thanh Dang at Thanh...@harrisonburgva.gov.

Now is the time to take some steps for a more lighting friendly city for ourselves and our bird/bats/moths/etc planet mates!

Best ...

Rob